Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hoplite

traveling without a room rack

6 posts in this topic

I have a little problem, i cannot get the truck this weekend because my mom is going upstate with it, but i do hve access to a Toyota camry. Its my sisters car, a beater. I was wondering how can i put my yack on the roof without a rack. I haev 15' straps and rope and can get some time of padding for it. Do i run the straps through the car, and run lines at the bow and stern? This will be the only weekend i will attempt this as i continue my search for a car.

Thanks for your help

Tom

------------------

Bass before Babes

[This message has been edited by Hoplite (edited 07-17-2002).]

I do it all the time with surf board foam racks and the long straps. Put the straps thru the scuppers then thru the car, you can also tie it down in the front and back if you want, not neccessary if your not driving very fast (above 50mph the yak may start rising of the top). Hope that helps :-}

I do it all the time with surf board foam racks and the long straps. Put the straps thru the scuppers then thru the car, you can also tie it down in the front and back if you want, not neccessary if your not driving very fast (above 50mph the yak may start rising of the top). Hope that helps :-}

IU never used these things. When i surfed, it was alwaysontop of the truck. Are these surf board foam racks similar to a pool noodle (the long pink/yellow skinny long things)

------------------

Bass before Babes

I do not have a roof rack. I use pool noodles (with holes through them) and I bungee (hooks on either end of the bungee through the noodles, and I hook the hooks together under the keel) them to the yak. I use one nylon tiedown strap with a locking buckle through the car, and bow and stern lines. I have gone 70 mph+ with no problems.