Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJohn

SWING discontinued this year? Rumor or Fact?

11 posts in this topic

I have been researching SOT kayaks and have found a Swing for a good price. I have also read on other boards that the Swing is being discontinued. Do any of you have any information and if it is, do you know if Perception plans a replacement?

John

If they discontinue that boat I'd be bummed. It's my favorite all around fishing boat. Perception did drop the price back to it's 2000 level. For 2001 it was listed at 649.00. Now it's 629.00.

Got mine in the Spring for 519.00 and I love it. I put in a rear hatch for another 20 something. Not being a swimmer, it took me a while to get used to sitting sideways but now that I do I can reach all the way to the tank well. I now put a milk crate, a small cooler, and my tackle bag back there.

------------------

John

Ronkonkoma

LIBBA 440

MSC 791

SOL ?

[This message has been edited by Diamondwrapper (edited 07-29-2002).]

Say it ain't so!!!! what's next baseball? May have to go out and buy another just to replace mine when it dies. Scott

JonS, good suggestion but bad news. No more Swing for 2003. Perception is part of the Watermark, Inc. boat division (Perception, Dagger and Islander) and they have rationalized their product line. The Moku 11.5 is the Islander model that is considered the Swing equivalent. Good luck Swing fans.

The Swing Rocks. Seriously over built. Best quality out there. Stainless steel everything. Tight as a drum. Heavy plastic.

Islander stuff is major lame. No way an 11 foot boat is the equivalent of a 13.3 boat.

Let's buy up all the remaining models so kayaker fishermen of the future will know what a good boat is built like.

I spent hours drilling out pop rivets in my Sea Dart and Malibu II just so I could bring them near Swing quality.

I say we protest! Down with all corporate bean counters!

Don't be too quick to trash Islander. I wouldn't trade my ventura for all the swings in...well...swingtown. confused.gif Ventura is fast, stable, almost bomb proof and comes well outfitted with deck rigging from the factory.

Oh yea, 2 quick acess hatches (no tupperware) and a chaneled hull for speed, PLUS a nice dry ride.

The swing gives you a wet butt ride and a tankwell BEHIND a hatch that isn't even there!!! You have to pay EXTRA for it! Deck rigging, HA! What IS that little brass screw hole for behind the seat? Islander dosn't give you one of those. wink.gif -Ed

I have two of those little screw holey things behind my seat. One for the left rudder cable and one for the rightsmile.gif Gonna miss that boat. Overall, even with it's weakness's, it's the best all around boat if tried for me. Nothing fit's my behind more comfortably than a swing. Gonna miss it. No way an eleven footer can replace the 13+ of the swing. S

Islanders are toys compared to the Perceptions. Those tupperware hatches are much more water tight than quick access. It's not that hard to cut out that hatch. And who else gives you stainless steel mounted into dedicated extra thick plastic.

If your butt is wet then you plug the holes. If you want go thru the surf you pull them out so you don't have to sit in a puddle for the rest of your fishing trip. It's better to have the alternatives than to sit in a puddle any time you're going to take waves. That's why the Swing is so great... you can take it anywhere and do anything with it. It's the most versatile boat I own!

There isn't a best boat INHO, but the Swing definately has its enthusiasts. I'll check and see if I can get some in. Do you guys really, really want them?

This is the unfortunate trend as companies merge. Necky is in the process of discontinuing a few SOTs from their line. Their parent company owns OK too. The problem, as I see it, is that we fisherman love SOTs but they are the orphan child of the kayak industry. Most companines could care less about us and when they merge the bean counters, who probably don't even kayak, take over. Both OK and Cobra have done a good job marketing and that's why their SOTs sell. Necky makes some great yaks and I was looking forward to the Cruiser. I've heard terrific things about it but its one of the kayaks that just got the axe.

The other trend we're starting to see is some companies are actually targeting the fisherman and trying to accomodate our needs. WS is at the forfront of this however other companies are following suit. I said it a while back that companies would start asking us what we want and they'd build it for us wink.gif . This will be a great for all of us.