Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frick

Dents, Racks & My Yak

6 posts in this topic

So, I just got back from a two hour ride with my Scupper Pro strapped to the top of my car. And when I took it off, what do I see but a big dent where the bottom met the rack. What do I do now?

And how do I prevent this problem in the future? I'd carry the yak upside down but the Scup and my Outback don't mix that way: the yak hits the car at places other than the rack. So, I guess it's got to be rightside up. How can I tell how tight to tug my straps?

(BTW, I never had this problem with my ol' Cobra Explorer...)

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Go to www.oceankayak.com They have a tutorial on how to repair a dent in your yak. It's in the support section. I don't know what kind of rack you have gut the larger the pads the better. They dent because the sun heats them up and they become soft and deform. Don't leave your car parked in the hot sun with the yak on top if you can help it.The guys at www.****.com may be able to help also. Good Luck, Dave

All brands are susceptable to heat dents. The hotter the weather, the darker the color the easier it happens. Wider rack pads will help. Lighten up on the straps a little. If you run the strapsthrough the drain tubes they dont have to be that tight.

Now to get rid of the dents turn the yak upside down and leaave it in the sun. The dents should pop out. Covering the area with clear or black plastic will help. I have used a hair dryer to remove smaller dents. A heat gun can be used but be careful you dont melt a hole right through it.Finaly inspect the area and see if it isnt super thin there if that is the case it should be under warranty. I have replaced new Cobras that had thin keels. Cobra stands behind their yaks.

Barrell www.rbbsurf.com

Thanks for the help, guys!

JonS, here's my rack setup, such as it is. I have the factory Outback racks and strapped to both of them are two lengths of PVC pipe. The PVC pipe extends the width of the racks so I can carry two yaks at once. Both PVC pieces are covering with pipe-insulantion foam, which probably doesn't offer a lot of cushion.

My new plan is to cut some lengths of pool noodle and strap them to the PVC-rack combo. I'll cut each fore-and-aft piece in two and space them on the cross bars so that the bottom of the yak will be cradled in between.

Or at least that's my hope.

Any other suggestion you or anyone might have, I'm all ears ...

And my wife's all pissed off about the the wacky crap now festooning her once-sleek car.

To appease the wife you may want to look into getting a real rack with saddles. All the majors have them. I won a Yakima but there's Thule and Barrecrafter is highly rated and a better value. I've had my yakima for over 10 years and it has served me well with all my toys. Before I had it on my Pathfinder I used it on a Subaru Legacsy.