Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperSwiper

Hudson report

4 posts in this topic

Just got back from the Hudson river in

Kingston. Caught 3 bass tonight. 18lbs, 24lbs,and 32lbs! Released all fish unharmed.

Used chunk herring on the bottom with a

fishfinder rig. The bigger fish are starting to move in tonight. A friend caught 2 fish in

Newburgh yesterday that weighed 37lbs and 32

lbs, he released them both. Now is the time to fish, get your stuff and head out!

Hey SS,

That is some good fishing. You said you were chunking herring on the bottom, is that from the shore, if so how far out/depth/any drop offs etc.

Also where do you get your herring from, is it reasonbly easy to catch them from shore?

Do you know if the Store in Catkill has a supply?

Sorry to pick your brain, but I want to try Catskill creek this weekend as the last two times I have tried have fallen through due to work commitments, but I AM going this weekend.

Tight Lines

Hey SS,

Thanks for the info, I went out today, stopped off at the River Basin Sports shop to pick upsome frozen herring and worms.

I asked if anywhere was fishing well, she said that a section across from Catskill school at low tide has been fishing ok. She also said to try on the main river near the bridge, so went there as high tide had just passed. Set up, started with worms while the herring defrosted. Nothing doing with the worms, so switched to the herring casting out around 80yrds, couldn't go further into the channel as the current was to stong even with 6oz breakaway leads. Got hung up a couple of times and lost a couple of rigs, then the rain (not forcast) came down and did not stop so called it today.

If anyone has any helpful advice, to be more productive it would be of great help, I don't have a yak or a boat, might consider getting a yak for next year though.

Tight Linescwm14.gif