Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Kids Yakking

5 posts in this topic

I have a 9 year old son and took him out a while back in April.He really had fun altough he got tired pretty quick.

So the question is does anyone else take their kids yakking ?

If so how old are they and how often do you go ?Would like to get him fishing but think he is still a little young for that.Any ideas on how to keep his attention into yakking? Since his attention span is close to 15 minutes unless its XBOX or Nitendo.Heres some pics of the little guy in the Pungo .

TYAK.jpg

Tyak1.jpg

I think he is having fun biggrin.gif

JoeV

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Joe,

Striking resemblance there, I think it's the ear to ear grin he's got sitting in the yak. He's a bit young for salt maybe but I think he could handle the sweet, just don't make tracks for that hole YOU like 3 miles up the lake. I started taking my kids on early spring canoe fishing trips into the Adks when they were 10, 10 was the arbitrary minimum for all kids we took. They were 11 and 13 when I put them in their own canoe, big mistake, even though they had some skills. Conditions can be tough, 3 lakes and 4 miles of trail from the road put a lot of pressure on them to perform in 20k winds. Fortunately part of their accomplishment was carrying a 40-50 lb pack on 1 to 2 mile carries between lakes, mud, sweat and all. So my .02 is put him in a boat he can handle easily and don't put him in conditions where failure is likely. Let him get out and throw rocks or chase snakes and look for fish that bite like bluegills, he won't care. Don't try to go for an extended day, keep trips short and frequent. He won't share your standards for what a good fish is for a while, just keep them bitin'. Camping was a great way to keep them getting in and out of boats all day. Have very definite boat rules, though, you know, safety. Might not be ready for yak fishing but you can still combine them during a trip.

I would think that a smaller yak would be much easier to paddle and a smaller paddle that's lighter and easier too. In Cobra a model like the play and in WS there's a few but the Critter is a good one to look at. They're inexpensive and basically a much smaller Pungo.

Put my large 7-8 year old in an OK frenzy and he did great. We go out a couple of times a year. I agree, too young to fish from it yet. We do the slow paddle along the shores looking for deer, turtles, frogs and fish as well as the occaisional rat. Had the two of them at 5 and 7 inthe OK frenzy surfing the waves in on the east coast of Florida. Loaded them, took them into the surf and gave them a push. the older one had the paddle and while they did make a couple of early wet exits, they did make it in too. They had a blast in the two footers and we intriduced what could be scary in a fun and playful way. Both boys were in sailboats at three months. Personally i was sailing my own boat by 5 years old. Get'em in, get'em wet and do it for fun. No pressure. Scott

PS the Mrs. didn't agree with me then, but she has learned that they did fine and had a good time. S