Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spoolie

Sea sickness & yak fishing

13 posts in this topic

It's a couple of times I or one of the people I fish with had that sea sick feeling. I hate dramamine and the other pills, they put me to sleep.

Last time in the ocean with heavy rollers I used crystalized ginger before I left shore and I had no seasick feelings. Another non medicated tip is the "Sea-Bands: These wristbands work on the principle of acupressure. Each elastic Sea-Band has a round button on the inside and when positioned to press a particular point on the inside of the wrist, the nausea associated with seasickness disappears."

Nils

I've gotten sea sick before and will often take something before going on a boat depending on the forecast. But have never even thought about it in a kayak confused.gif

I use Scopace, which is the best (I've used almost everything else to no avail), perscription only pills. Same active ingredient as the "patch" for deep sea fishing but doesn't stay in your system as long.

If you're already seasick I learned you can take chewable dramamine and let it sit in your mouth(to get absorbed that way) as once your sick a valve in your stomach closes and keeps you vomiting and not absorbing the medicine.

spoolie,

Try Bonine pills. You take two, two hours before going out, and they don't put you to sleep. The active ingredient is Meclazine (spelling ??). Bonine is available over the counter and is inexpensive. I won't go on a party boat again without using them.

I yak and sail and have had no problems until last year while fishing on one of the party boats in the Montauk rips. Tried like heck to fish but it was very difficult once I got sick. Funny thing how the sick feeling leaves you when getting back to the North side.

Good Luck,

Steve smile.gif

spoolie,

On the yak, look out at the horizon. If your doing something in the cockpit with small chop or rollers you can get quezy. Look up and out to settle down.

Good Luck,

Steve

personally I don't have success with anything other than dramamine, but I haven't tried ginger or the wrist straps yet.

to avoid getting drowzy with the dramamine, I've found backing off on the recommended dose works just as well. I weigh 195lbs and I take 1/2 a tablet about 15 minutes before I leave on the boat, at least 1/2 hr before you hit ocean swells. That numbs up the inner ear (which is what dramamine does) and is all it takes. Then just take 1/2 tab every couple of hours (4 hrs I think per the recommendation) and it works great.

Where do you get ginger crystals? sounds like I need to try it.

-- Rob

I get seasick looking at a ripple in a puddle

I went offshore in a 46' Viking and took Dramamine and puked for 3 hours (every 15 minutes) in 6-8' waves

I use motion-eaze inshore.

It's just a little oil (ginger??) that you rub behind your ears.

It does work once you are sick... just rub it on and watch the horizon

I take it on my yak cause I do get sick real quick even in flat seas.

I also use it when I'm doing rollercoasters or long car rides. I get so motion sick.

I've tried it offshore fishing but in big waves it is no good.

Gonna try the Scopalamine (sp) patch next...

For those saying that Dramamine makes them drowsy, there is a "non-drowsy" version. I used to all but fall asleep when I took the regular stuff, but the non-drowsy version doesn't make me feel at all tired. OCSurfFishn, sounds like you would be a good candidate for prescription motion sickness meds. Talk to your doctor about. I know some of my friends have to have a prescription med since they get car sick on long drives...

Otherwise, looking at the horizon, and catching fish is a good way to go.

Get the patch from you doctor as a script. It looks like a Band-Aide you put on behind your ear on an artery where it is fed thru the skin. Never sick and no side effects other than a little dry mouth. Best stuff I've ever used.

I have 2 cents I would like to put in,

I was in the Navy for 4 years ( Blah Blah Blah ) And we just used to go with the flow, Not fight the feeling. We always said it's mind over matter. No mind it didn't matter. The guys that would fight it would get sick and the guys that would enjoy the feeling would be ok.