CT yak registration

They're at it again 600

What's in yourwallet?

Discussion at connyak.org

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with Peter and he said that most of it is being pushed by the Coast Guard.They want to have a safe kayak/canoeing course set up.So that people who rent kayaks are not going out and getting into trouble.He also said that if the bill with the registration goes thru all the monies will go to building and maintaining launch sites and doing safety courses.He said that if the money goes into the General fund he would kill the bill.His main concern is the people who go out with no knowledge .Peter is a nice guy and responded to my inquiry very quickly.He also said the Coast Guard is trying to push this type of bill thru all coastal states.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Amazing how the everone is trying to protect us from ourselves. I think if you want a safe boating course you should go out and take one. Watch what elected officials say, Passing the buck to the coast gaurd sounds fishy to me. This bill is all going to the good of the kayackers, I bet. Seems like the officials will tell you anything you will swallow to get thier bills passed beware. The last 10 cent rise in gasoline tax in new york was going to be a dedicated road repair fund,it was untill the general fund went broke. Then guess what happened hmmmmm. Don't believe them. I have to wear a helmet when I ride my motercycle in 95 degree heat because someone else is worried about my safety. Conn. first NY next. Don't let them talk you into another bill to protect you from yourself. Dan

Shutterfish,

I believe in the state of Mass confusion ( I live there) you only need to register watercraft if they are propelled by motor; includes electric motors.

Here's the link to Fisheries and Wildlife. Note, not all Mass Registry offices issue boat registration. One is in Worcester, Boston and somewhere out west.

I searched the site for boat registratin and found lots of info, but no actual answer. This link provides boat reg info plus phone numbers to offices. http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dle/ELEREG.htm

Peter Panaroni Actually invited me down to a meeting with the Coast Guard I had to decline cause I got to work for a living.

He did say the Coast Guard had some staggering numbers on how many kayak rescues they have done latly.

Maybe we could find out what they are talking about.

JoeV

Its gonna happen sooner or later.

Too bad it will be ruined like every thing else.Maybe I should get one of them Pontoon boats or a float tube.

Hey Maniac ride up to Ct we still dont have the helmet law.Got some nice country roads for riding in Northwest Ct.

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Registering boats (especially those without power) seems to be a pretty stupid way to deal with clueless operators. Why not just extend the current (at least in RI) operator training requirements to ALL watercraft operators? It would be a one time cost that would be a lot easier to swallow than a recurring registration fee every year.

Dan

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward

I could buy into the safety in education principal if they were writing a course for kayakers. I don't think a safety cert for PWC is gonna do much for those poor fools who get into trouble in a yak.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black