Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Sat. Report

15 posts in this topic

Hit the spot at 7 am with Jim,Sal&Kayaakjoe Sal and Jim caught 1 each around 10 pds I did not get much not many bunker I paddled way out to end of bay where boats were working saw a couple of blues caught.Paddled back and them guys left should have stayed I paddled back into sailboats found some bunker snagged one a minute later I was into one wild ride thru the sailboats around the mooring bouys up and down the channel in front of the fishing wall well when I landed it was about 15 pds got a big round of applause from the 30 or so guys on the wall Caught 1 more with live bunker(like to thank guy with blue dagger for no letting me paddle by school)lost the school then started to paddle back remembered tip about point from Jons(thanks dude)first cast with popper banged one about 10 pds nice relaese at side of boat proceeded to catch 2 more GATORS to big scary big on side of yak could of fit your whole arm in there mouth ended up with 5 landed lost another 6 so ended up being a great day .wish those guys would have stayed for some pictures.THANKS Joey & Jons for info.

joev - glad you got them, especially by the wall. I arrived at launch at noon. My buddy was late, then Rt. 80 was shut down, so we took the Tappenzee. Harbor Patrol told us the bait had moved to Hempstead so we went there. I had never fished there before. We got a few each. When did you leave Manorhaven? I didn't see your truck when I got there.

Funny stuff John, the place we cancelled luncheon reservations for the original yak fling is in the center of the fourth picture on your "Friday" post. The Blues have been there 3 or 4 weeks now, But in all the posts, I didn't see the words "Manhasset Bay" once. What's the big secret? Every September is like this, and the fish will stick around another week or 10 days.

Flounder

PS: There is a CLOSER place to launch!

That's right Joe, not from the Town Dock, but nearby. Our lunch reservations were at Louie's. I am scheduled for powerboat excursions on Weds and Thu. This weekend is the Fall Fling/South Shore Classic/LIBBA Contest. By Sunday I won't want to think about fishing for a day or two! Still, weather permitting, I might see my way clear to kayak on Tuesday. It all depends on some other parts I want to put on the car by the weekend. If you plan on being there this weekend (Fling) I think you will get a kick out of what I am planning to add!

Flounder

Flounder - there isn't any secret. I know that I've called it Manorhaven and anyone who asked for directions got them. I'm curious, if the fish have been there for weeks and its no secret, how come you didn't say anything? There's plenty of room, no restrictions to parking (since Labor Day), so hense the spot didn't need to be protected. So why the silence on your part? I can understand not divulging launch spots in summer because access is very tough then, but since Labor Day its been open.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-15-2001).]

Flounder where is that launch ? I drove up and down and did not see anyplace else to launch the one we were at had a freshwater washdown nice option but the mud flat sucks so would be nice to know other spot pm me if ya dont want to post it.Thanks Joev

I believe I have disseminated the Manhasset Bay info for weeks now, but as far as the launch, that will have to be in person. I know John will be at the fling this weekend, hope Joe will as well. Parking is not a problem, even in season, but the launch itself should never be posted because it uses private property to access the water. At 5 AM there will be no objection voiced by anyone. When taking out, however, it is best to stagger arrivals, rather than arriving in a bunch. Joe, I am quite sure you drove right past it without realizing it was access.

Flounder

Funny stuff Flounder I have not heard a peep about the fishing in Manhasset from ya even did a search in LI and Yak Forum so I wouldnt harp on Jons about dissemiating info

Joev

JonS,

Regarding Manorhaven, do you go straight out from the park ramp and stay to the left and swing around.?

Or head due west?

Where should I point my nose as soon as I leave the dock?

Thanks>>>>Mike

Thanks joev, I was going ot look cause I couldn't remember anything.

Flounder the only mention of Manhasset by you on this board (kayak) was this past summer that you couldn't divulge your launch points because they were private. I understood completely your not telling. There are places that we all have that are like that. So Flounder I don't understand your comments. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately I won't be at the fling. I've got late breaking business that I have to attend to. I don't work much but when I gotta I gotta.

DASBOOT - the fish are on the move so if you go to Manorhaven I don't think that it will matter where you go.

For the most reports as to where the fish are check out the Noreaster board for NY. The majority of the fish are in Hemstead Harbor. As to where that's not a constant. You have to go and figure it out. Check for breaking bunker and blues or where the largest concentration of boats is.

Hey flounder I think I know the spot youre talking about....its a sandy beach between 2 houses....in fact I have detailed directions for getting into some launch spots in season of out....anyway I must say that we have a pretty good collection of guys here that we can cover alot of a wide fishing area..We have Joev up in CT.(dont think I am going to forget that spring spot you told me about)... we have Doug out on the island who says he works but spends most of the day checkin the water...Jons is out out in NJ where I I hear that I fishing is good like 3 or 4 days a year smile.gif Rudy in the rockaways....myself and some others checking the waters in the western sound area...Its a good little network and it seems like its producing.