Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FLYRODDER

OK Scrambler XT Opinions Needed

9 posts in this topic

A friend of mine is looking to buy the OK Scrambler XT. He's 5'7" and weighs 170lbs. Would this be a good kayak for him to buy? I would like to here your opinions good or bad.

He has tried out a few yaks(few minutes on each)and liked the Scrambler the most. Before he buys it I would like to hear what some of you think about this kayak so I can pass it onto him.

That XT is a great little fishing kayak. Rancho Leonero has a fleet of them on Baja's East Cape. I have been renting them down there to fish the Sea of Cortez inshore for the past few seasons. You can count on that kayak model to be a solid fishing platform. I preferr it without hatches. A big plus is that the fishes down there seem to enjoy towing the Scrambler XTs around: so take it from the fish-it is a fun boat to fish! Here is a link to some on-the-water, fishy pictures down there:

http://www.rancholeonero.com/kayaks.html

Just one opinion of course-and just mine. BTW- If you are going to or need to be extra tuff on your boat, you can get Ocean Kayak to shoot a Scrambler with "Extra Plastic". That makes them a few pounds heavier, but imparts more durability to them. These boats at the Ranch have a little more heft to them; yet we paddle them up to three miles off-shore and for up to six hours a day with huge smiles on our faces.If your buddy likes it, then GO-4-It.

Sharp1

I owned an XT for a few years and finally sold it. If I needed just one kayak and I did a lot of warm water fishing and surfing, that would be the one. The down side is it's not very fast compared to other kayaks with the same dimensions (although its demon along side a Cobra FnD or OK Malibu II). That's the compromise for its great surfing hull. The other compromise is the hull is quite noisy on the flats when the water is rippling. The real reason I got rid of it is because it is incredibly wet to ride in. That really limits its utility in this part of the country.

I got one and it's fantastic- it's also lime green!- I'm 5'10 and 150 lbs, and that thing is real stable. I have never flipped it- but I have flipped a regular scramblr lots.

The Scrambler XT is a great all purpose yak. I know a few guys that paddle them. One is well over 200#s. I feel that it and the Cobra Explorer are the 2 best all purpose yaks for people entering the sport. They are versatile and should you eventually decide on something different you'll have a great craft that handles a lot of different situations. As Santiago pointed out its a wet ride but by dressing properly that problem is elimiated.

i paddle an ok scrambler xt as well. it's a great all-around kayak for fishing, surfing and light touring (although i wouldn't try to cover any serious distances in it). your buddy should also take a look at the scrambler, as opposed to the xt, since it doesn't seem like he'll need to carry the extra weight.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. Seems like all of you give the Scrambler XT the thumbs up. So I told my friend today and he is now the proud owner of a new Scrambler XT kayak. Thank you all again for your help.

I use The Scrambler XT myself and it the only one I have. I like it I'm 6'5" tall and around 265. I never yet tiped over in it and I fish Montauk. It's a good yak however not the fastest out there.

Eddie