Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Uncle Matt

Loon 138

14 posts in this topic

I went kayak shopping today and saw a Old Town Loon 138. Anyone use this for fishing? I'm 6'0, 230 lbs., and will be fishing Cape Cod Bay mostly for stripers. They also had a handout about a new Pamlico 140 Angler. Any idea? I'm going to look at Cobra's tomorrow. Thanks all.

Uncle Matt - Welcome to the kayak board. The Loon 138 is a nice flat water yak. I know a few people who own 138s and they rarely fish them. In fact most of the people who I know that have SIKs (sit in kayaks) hardly ever use them with the exception being joev. I strongly suggest that you look at a SOT (sit on top). They are much more versatile, easier to get in and out of, and are unsinkable. The vast majority of people fishing from kayaks use SOTs. There's a reason.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 11-19-2001).]

Jon s,

I'm a pungo yaker also- although I've noticed that plastic insulator factor is not keeping my toes very happy these days. Still, love the pongo and will be outfitting it heavy for fishing next season,

dougie v

Matt -- more thoughts -- It's always a good idea to look at and if possible, test paddle a variety of kayaks before you buy. Also to define as carefully as possible what your goals/needs are before buying one. If you're on/near the Cape, Goose Hummock in Orleans has a good kayak shop/inventory with lots to look at. As I recall, you might be able to test paddle on the salt pond right there as well.

We have three enclosed-deck (sit-in-type) sea kayaks that we use for extended family camping trips--longer narrow boats that are fast and sea-worthy and comfortable. I fish from mine--fly, spin, and conventional-- without difficulty.

But as I get older and fatter (sigh) the small cockpits are harder to get in and out of....so now for fishing I'm looking at getting an easy-on, easy-off sit-on-top type. And now I'm leaning toward a Cobra--good build quality and relatively light vs. the competition for easiest car-topping.

You might also look for a copy of Canoe&Kayak magazine--I think the most recent issue is a buyer's guide--that will show a mind boggling array of choices.

Happy shopping!

Hi Uncle Matt ,It depends on your needs and what type of fishing you will do.Everybody has a Favrite but you gotta find the one you like.I have apungo and love it .However I can not do surf launches and such.I live in Ct so dont have to worry about surf.I can tell the Pungo is a great boat.Big Cockpit ,tracks great,lite weight ,good manuverabilty and wont break the bank.But TMHO .In New England Pungos have a very large amount of users.2 other yak boards I chat on ,almost 50 % have Pungos.

Oh ya VERY stable

Good luck Matt lots of choices.

Remember try before you buy.

Joev

Another thing to consider. At some pioint you may wish to use the yak for more that you initially think. Joev is a good example. He fishes the Sound and protected waters where he doesn't need to be concerned with the surf. However he's a fairly adventurous kayak fisherman and I know that he'll join us sometime for a fling in a place like Martha's Vineyard where he'll want to go out in the surf. I mention this because I know that joev is considering another kayak to add to his stable. So try to best determine your present and future needs.

Matt- I've got a 138 that I've tricked out for fishing that works great for me. I'm 6'4 235 and find it very comfortable all day.The 138 tracks well, is pretty fast, reasonably maneuverable and VERY seaworthy....rough stuff is the norm where I fish (rocky coast N.Shore MA).Good choice for CC Bay....though I'd get a SOT for Nauset surf launches.I paddle mine all year long(w/spray skirt and proper clothing).Test it out first, if you can.

I just got a Loon 138 about 2 weeks ago. I'm new to all this kyyak stuff. It had the most comfortable seat and looked like I could use it for hunting. Get rid of those bungee cords in the front, they just grab lures. Eventually I'm going to put some thing up front to rest my pole on when I get a tip tangle, it's rounded of on the top and the reel gets a dunking. I wasn't concerned about the lack of front storage, becauce you can't reach it anyhow.