Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elatrtbm

Southern kayaking

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I actually have a couple questions. First, I've never tried kayaking for a couple reasons. I've never been comfortable sitting on the floor, and as I've gotten older, I have some back problems too. How is sitting in that position for extended periods? The other reason is none of my fishing buds will get in a canoe with me more than once. I think I have a high center of gravitysmile.gif Second question. I've posted inqueries on the main and OBX forums about fishing around Hilton Head and have gotten zero.(tried other sites too) I did some research myself and found there's a kayak fishing guide there I might unlock my wallet to try. But, I don't want to spend the rest of the trip with bum back. Thanks. Elden (PS 99.9% fly fish, if that matters)

Different kayaks have different comfort levels due to the design of the seat.

You can do things like add a gel seat pad, etc; but you still need a good seat to start with. A lot depends on your build also.

The only real thing you can do is try a few kinds and see.

Good Luck!

Elden,

I've been down there, do a search in the main forum with "Hilton Head" in search words and "Ed J" in the members name. I did better in the fresh water than salt, but if I went back, I think I'd do better in both smile.gif .

As to your kayak question, I do some fishing from a kayak, and as Tim said, some can be more comfortable than others. I can do about 2 hours before I look forward to my arse going numb, then can do another 3 smile.gif .

As most will recommend, test paddle as many as you can before you buy. The trip in HH sounds like a great way to "test drive" the idear of fishing from a yak to see if ya like it. And if ya catch sumthin big enough to give ya a tow, I think you'll like it cwm12.gif .

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give it a try in HH. I don't golf or tennis so a 3 hour guided kayak fishing trip for $125 sounds like a good and fun investment. Elden

El

Who is the Kayak guide you are using? I am headed down in July (HOT) with the yak on th e roof of the Burb. Would like to hook up with a guide and get the spots in the GPS for a go it alone trip or 2.

Rodsmith, "Outside Hilton Head" is the only kayak fishing guide I've found. They do a lot of the usual nature and historic tour as do others. You can get them at (Link to commercial site DELETED)

Good luck

Elden

[ 07-07-2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

Nearly any kayak, with the newest items available, can be made into a comfy fishing machine. There are several cushions for the tush that work, but a stand by simple camp pillow with just enough air to keep you butt of the plastic will work well. Ther eare also several pads out there, some better than others. I'd think an SOT would be better a you can move around a bit easier, turn sideways, dangle you feet, lean way back, etc. Try several types before setteling. Make sure you get the high back seat. Good luck. Scott

Just a couple comments. I've been yakfishing for about 1 year and totally hooked. Whether I catch anything or not, it's always a great day. I'd encourage you to give it a try.

The guide I went with in San Diego the first time had back problems and I have mild lower back pain. Driving is worse for me than kayaking and the kayaking actually seems to help a little. Ditto to others on a good high back seat. Surf to summit makes several good ones.

Good luck in HH,

R2B

Elden

The folks at OHH also rent fishing kayaks. WS Tarpon 160 completely rigged for $75 for 3 days! For that price I am leaving the yak home. Dont have to listen to humming straps for 11 hours, no worries about an airborn yak. So for $200 bills I get a guided trip and a 3day kayak use. Cant beat that.

Elden

What was your opinion of the OHH outfitters and how was the fishing. Leaving on Friday and have booked Sean Hart for Monday on the water. We have a good early morning flood tide so we can be off the water before it gets hot. Cant wait!