Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Dude

Talk me into buying a yak...

27 posts in this topic

My finger is itching to pull the trigger on one. However, I have a few questions for the kayak crew.

1. Can I successfully launch on the Cape's outer beaches on most days? I'd likely only be heading out with one rod and a handful of lures in most instances. The wife and friends love hitting up Nauset for summertime beach fun. I have been sitting on Nauset staring at a blitz 2 miles off the beach too many times now. I'm a very strong swimmer and fairly daring. I just want to know if I'd break my rod 50% of the time.

2. Can you fish mostly light tackle/fly and be successful? It seems as though a lot of kayak fisherman are down with the trolling.

3. How far can you resonably travel to a spot?

4. Is it a good workout? Does it keep you in shape?

Fishing out of a kayak is what it is.

Some use it as their primary way of fishing; some use it as a tool.

If you already know how & where to catch fish, you can do that.

Or if you don't know how or where to catch fish, you can troll. It's great if you want to combine exercise & fishing. I never paddle more than a couple hundred yards, and I rarely troll. I use it to fish from places I can't anymore due to crowds or no access.

I don't use mine much, but when I do I enjoy it a bunch.

I don't know the beaches you speak of, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't fish off them. Will you break things? Not if you stow them properly.

I fly fish from my sled 90% of the time.

I can't answer the travel question as stated above I don't paddle far. But I have heard of guys going 10 miles without blinkin gan eye.

I use it to fish and although I need the exercise, I don't think of it that way.

The best advice I can give anyone is to go to a store where you can test drive a few. Asking questions helps too smile.gif .

Dude pull the trigger will ya biggrin.gif

You can launch off the beaches.Finding spots where the waves are the smallest is key.

You can fish light tackle and do very well indeed.

I usally loose at least 5-10 pds once the season gets going.

You can travel as far as your arms can paddle .

8-10 miles round trip is pretty avg. outing for me.

JoeV

Launching from the beach to a blitz a mile or so out should be no problem once you put in a little practice. Beach launching - and the trickier part - coming back in - can be challenging depending on the surf conditions. Like Ed says, if all equipment is properly stored you won't have to worry about damage. A lot of people fly fish from the yak - trolling can be done exclusively or just when getting to the spots you want to go. If you know you have a mile paddle to your favorite fishing area, there is no reason you shouldnt have a line out trolling until you get there. Trolling is often done by alot of kayakers because the paddle speed of the yak is perfectly suited to trolling swimmers, or the mighty tube & worm. Give it a try - you may never go back .....

Alright, I'm probably over the edge. Can anyone recommend a place to possibly buy a used kayak in mass? Also, I have been eyeing the Prowler 13, and would like to take it for a test paddle.

I bought a used Prowler 13 from KFS all rigged up for fishing. It's my first yak. I've only had it out once (weather has not been great) but I paddled over 6 miles and it was easy. I did feel as if I had a great upper body workout...was kinda sore for a day but not painful.

I think i will be cathing plenty of fish this year on the yak. Plan is to fish nice weather from the yak and stormy weather from shore.

Good luck! -erik

I think there is an outfit located on the Charle River not far from Boston but I am not sure of the name. Then in Plymouth there is Billington Sea, In Tiverton RI there is Sakonnet Boathouse and on the Cape is the Goose Hummock shop. The Kayak Centre in Wickford RI is having Demo Days this weekend Sat and Sun.

If you plan to beach launch at Nauset you really should only consider Sit On Top type kayaks otherwise if you take a wave you will get swamped. The surf can be very dangerous along this stretch of shoreline especially when the hurricanes pass offshore but if you pick your days it could be a lot of fun. Travel light and leash the rod and paddle just in case.

Also, there is a place in Wareham that has a decent selection of kayaks but you cannot test paddle so you need to know what you want in advance; Bananas Inc.

Try going to Ocean Kayaks or Wilderness Systems website and getting a dealer listing for MA.

Alright, I'm probably over the edge. Can anyone recommend a place to possibly buy a used kayak in mass? Also, I have been eyeing the Prowler 13, and would like to take it for a test paddle.

The Prowler 13 is tough to find. Kittery Trading Post does not carry them, Seacoast Kayak in Seabrook NH does not. If I were you I would take a bit of a road trip up to LL Bean in Freeport Maine. They sell the Prowler 13 and the P13 angler edition. $699 and $745 I think.

The advantage you get is that the kayak is guaranteed for life. LL Bean stands behind everything they sell 100% for life.

The drive would take less than 2 hours once you cross the Tobin Bridge.

I wish I bought mine there but when I was buying (early this Winter) they were not carrying the P13. I actually had to drive down to Logan to pick mine up.

-Erik

im from the cape, and me and my bro actually both picked up our first yaks over the winter. I picked up a Tarpon 120 at EMS in hyannis.. got a great deal, 30% off.. and my bro picked up a Prowler 13 at Bananas Inc in Wareham, he also got a deal.. we've been out every weekend for the past 6 weeks cruising the ocean, rivers, etc and been doing alot of trout fishing.. i am addicted already.. at first, i thought like you, debating if i need one, but now i dont even look back as i know it was a solid decision to buy..

If you're going to be 2 miles off of Nauset, be sure to check the forecast, especially wind speed and direction. If a stiff southwest wind kicks up, you'll have some real good exercise getting back to shore.

I bought a Tarpon 120 last summer and had a blast exploring. Going to try the fishing thing this summer. The first time off the Outer Beach will be a calm, light wind day for me. Kind of wondering if the seals will be scared off by the kayak or will be drawn in by curiosity??

Luke I mean Dude the dark side is a powerful thing cwm8.gif that you can't resist. Once you come over you will be glad that you did.

Seriously you can launch thru some good size surf once you get used to it, coming back in in those conditions is another story(practice, practice, practice). wink.gif The cape has so many different place to fish, based on the conditions you could yak fish most days somwhere. If its that bad then fish the surf and hope they come into range. wink.gif

I have a P15 and can put in or remove things from the front hatch while on the water so all rods and anything else i don't want to lose goes inside if it a little rough. I don't know for sure if you can get to the front on the P13 but I don't see why not.

Go for it you won't regret it.

Paul

OK.

Last spring my buddy and I fished the surf early a.m. for stripers. No luck. Around 11:00 we head for some sod banks and I have my yak on top of my explorer. I fish the banks with my friend for about an hour and each get a few small blues.

I paddle my yak about 100 yds to an elbow in the channel where I know there's a nice hole and the tide was starting to move again. My friend couldn't get near it.

I nailed 3 stripers 24"-28" on a storm shad in about 20-30 minutes while my buddy caught nothing. He's shopping around for one now.

Get a kayak and fish from it.

Dude I've had the thought in the back of my mind for a year. I love to fish but need to excercise.

Your email was freash in my head when I went into EMS in Burlington Ma. They had 2 Tarpon 140's (Rudder, flush rod mounts, Scotty trolling mount) for 30 % off. I bought it for $716. I love it. I've had it for two days. I spent 2 hours in it the first night & six hours in it yesterday. The water temps here in Nahant Ma are holding at 48 degrees and I didn't catch a fish but still had a great time. I've been fishing the same area for years & can't explain what an incredible difference in the view. I now can get to areas I always wanted to fish, but just couldn't get to because of the dangers (cliffs). I cruised them yesterday. I cant wait till the stripers "turn on". So pull the trigger Dude - it's just plain fun.