Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jw

any one ever put a sail on a yak

17 posts in this topic

I saw a guy last summer who had a rectangulat shaped sail tied to his paddle. It sure looked like fun, but I couldn't get close enough to ask questions. I would like to do it that way. IO have no sailing experience, and don't want to have to duck under the boom, or capsize because I don't have a skeg.

Flounder

A decent size parafoil will allow you to sail down wind with relative ease. With no spars it folds up into a small comapct unit. Into the wind has several nice models. Cheap too. Use your paddle, and you may be able to sail to 45 off a dead run (down wind). S

I used an umbrella. In fact that's a tip I got from Ken Daubert's book "**** - The Revolution".

I read an article about the guys out west who have a sail system and used it in Baja. They cover 60 miles in a couple days. Sounded great. Not cheap but using wind to greatly expand range has a lot of appeal.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

I like the golf umbrella idea , I spoke to a company that is dropping the sail they made ( didn't take off as they had hoped ) as a result they have about 140 left priced at about $ 99.00 from 200 . Im thinking about it but don't want to be the only nut out there , if anyone interested may be we can do better on price on a bulk order . I think its the type that gets connected to the paddle so you would need a rudder .

There was a discussion of yak sails on another site and I remember there was one fellow that actually took his beach umbrella out on the yak. Said he got it up to about 20 MPH and was drawing a crowd on the beach!

There was a discussion of yak sails on another site and I remember there was one fellow that actually took his beach umbrella out on the yak. Said he got it up to about 20 MPH and was drawing a crowd on the beach!

I have a hard time imaginging how you could see where you're heading with a beach umbrella in front of you....

I'll be rigging my canoe for sailing this year(........friends up North have been sailing their canoes for years and finally sent me some good instructions)............but I don't know about getting my yak with a sail on it!!!

A Google search will bring up lots of info on doing it..............but I think a big CLEAR umbrella may be the ticket to easy cruising.........

I used an umbrella. a very small colapsable

one I keep next to the seat in my pungo took it along to get a little shade on hot days but when the winds going I troll . have had a few very fast rides with it.cwm12.gif