Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimW

Black Rock still smokin'

18 posts in this topic

Happy Thanksgiving to all,

My entire family cancelled Thanksgiving dinner on me so I fished Black Rock harbor 6-9am. Still tons of bunker, decent choppers still turned on, more or less non-stop from 6-8am. Snag a bunker, bait up, reel 'em in, one after another. Lost my last snag so had a head I saved from my only chopoff and took 3 more. Blues ranged from abt 7-8 to maybe 11-12 tops. Boater who has been a regular there said he took 3 stripers one morning earlier in the week, one 36, one 38 and one 42 inches. Live-lining bunker with a little weight to get 'em down.

Work tomorrow but going back this weekend.

Jim

Jim - where's Black Rock?

Also when the bunker are thick all you need is a large hook and wire. Here's what I use. I take 7/0 mustad bluefish hooks which are on 6" of hard wire. I then attach a 12" 50# wire leader. This setup will cast 30-40' on my spin rod. I just let it sink about 10 seconds and snag a bunker. I then leave it out there until I feel a blue swimming off with it. Works great. I no longer use snag trebles.

Jon, It is a small harbor called black rock harbor in bridgeport. If you look at the a map look for seaside park along the shore this provides access to black rock harbor via the mouth. I don't know the exit # but the park is down behind university of bridgeport and the new arena and harbor yard ballfield. I believe there is a way in at the head of the harbor also, try pmm'ing arnie sabitelli, he goes there alot. Dave

Thanks Dave,

Jon, if you have a Gazetter, it's probably easiest from I95 exit 23. I launch next to Fayreweather YC at the end of Brewster.

I was using Steelon leader with perfection loops in the ends with 7/0 circle hooks so wasn't sure I'd snag fast. I wasn't even sure if perf loops were ok on coated wire but they work well. But I'm out of that now too. Bring a stringer or a bait bag and take a few to go. I was spending a fair amount of time snagging, re-rigging and got chopped off a couple times.

Tomorrow should be warm and nearly calm.

Jim

Is Black Rock an all day event? I'd appreciate more specifics on parking and where to launch, etc.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 11-23-2001).]

Jim W, are you going to try Sat a.m.? I will be fishing somewhere and Norwich was going to be the target but with this report I'm thinking different. I am bringing someone along with me- is the water some what calm?

Jon S- are thinking Sat a.m. also? Any chance of trying out one of those yaks you might have?

dougie v

Referring to Dave's photo above, I was catching fish in the narrowest part of the inlet, top right of the picture, and therefore, very calm, protected/safe waters. They do move out into the main harbor, and even into the water on the Seaside Park side. I park at the boat launch at the far west of Seaside park. On picture above, right at the mouth of the narrow inlet I mentioned above (right/east side).

All,

A lot of the harbor is pretty protected but it can blow up pretty good if we see 25-30 k winds from s or sw. Early action has generally been in the narrower parts, I've seem them move farther into the harbor but yesterday they were heading out. A few good stripers have been taken very early in with the blues but the guy I spoke with yesterday got the 3 after 8am after the blues had slowed down a little. Best blues bite has been 5:30-7am I think. Later in the morning you will probably need to venture out to where the water is a bit more exposed. I've never launched from Seaside, you might have to park a block from the launch at Fayreweather if there are boat trailers there early, parking is on the streets.

Jim

dougie v - I was/am considering going there. That's why I was asking for more info. I'll send you an email. I can't access PMs for some reason so if anyone has sent me any that's why I haven't responded.

I may try to sneak away tomorrow, early early AM, till 8 or so. I'm doing familial penance for too much fall fishing these 4 days off. When are you all planning on going? Hey Dave, any reports from New Haven/West haven area? Did the sandbar ever turn on at all? Bunker still in the west river? Blues I got last week in Black Rock were particularly nasty fellows. One bit off my fly-line (second time this year). I figure a piece of bait must have slid up the leader onto the line. You'd think the colder water would make them more sluggish.

Joey and I are going to meet up at Black Rock boat ramp at 9 AM so if anyone wants to hook up let's play.

dougie v - I sent you an email with my phone # so give me a call. OK to call anytime but I propably will be out by 11 pm and then from 5:30 to 6 AM until I leave around 7:30 is good to call.