Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kryn13

Yak Dealer in Washingon, DC area

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm considering getting a Yak for fishing. I live just south of DC and I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good places to go look around here.

On a related note, I'll likely use the Yak in both the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River...any thoughts on the Tarpon 160 vs. 120?

What part of the river, tidal? How are you built, and how will you transport the yak? If you give us more info we can better advise you. Also consider the Emotion Fisherman. It'll be available in a month.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

I'm 6'2 and a little over 200 lbs. I live just off the tidal part of the potomac and most of my usage of the river would be from the Wodrow Wilson Bridge south. This part of the river sees pretty heavy boat traffic in the summer and those boats can kick up some large wakes.

I tried emailing so we could speak via phone but it came back undeliverable. I find it easier to answer questions.

The 120 is a bit more stable, a little slower, more comfortable and better laid out. The seat acutally works and it has paddle keepers, a tankwell, less dumb stuff.

The 160 is a touring SOT. Its long and benefits greatly from a rudder. Tons of storage, awfull cockpit and seat, some wasted space. It performs well and at the moment its the saltwater choice in this area for serious fisherman.

As to cost, the 160 with rudder is over 50% more than a 120.

These are 2 of the better fishing kayaks. Right now the 120 is very hot. They sell very easily.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 03-17-2003).]

For places to buy a Yak around DC I suggest Atlantic Canoe & Kayak in Old Towne Alexandria. I bought all of my stuff there and the customer service was better than a large chain because you are actually helped by the woman that owns it.

Hope this helps!!

JTnVA