Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfrat666

Sit on Top Cushion?

10 posts in this topic

I am using an OK Malibu2. I have the S2S rod holder seat. Have occasionally seen posts refer to seat cushions. Are these inflatable that go on top of the regular seats? I wouldn't mind sitting on something a bit softer and a bit dryer. All suggestions welcome thx

I cut a 1/2" thick section of neoprene to fit my seat and glued it in place with some Aquaseal.

On it's second season, and Works great.

I went to my local sporting goods store and bought a hunters tree stand pad made out of closed cell foam. It does not absorb water and is also camoflague in color, so your arse is hidden. works well for me. wink.gif

I find an inflatable air cushion really good and now I'm using an Endurance but padd. Its made like a Thermorest camping padd. Its incredible. It completely negates the hump in the Tarpon 160. I love the thing.

The inflatable cushion you are referring to is just an inflatable pillow that you get from your camping store. Costs about $7 or so and it's a magnificent improvement in comfort and the best $7 you ever spent. You won't regret it. You should not over inflate the pillow. You need to puff only enough air to keep your tush from making any contact with the hull so you don't develop any pressure points that result in pain. You will be surprised how little air you need. For me, it's one puff and a little more. How much exactly will depend on you. It's a trial and error thing. All I can say is that my first time out with this pillow, I was able to go 10 hrs without any complaint where I previously could not last more than 2 hours.

That inexpensive air pillow made it possible for me to paddle and fish a T-160. Without it I couldn't spend 30 minutes in the yak without pain. Best $7 you can spend for comfort.

Thanks guys

I appreciate the feedback...a little late this year but looking forward to getting on the water and bringing home that first kayak fluke dinner.

I fish a necky dolphin that has a nice round hull and found that even a very modest air cushion elevated my center of gravity enough to make the boat even more tippy. So heed the warnings to minimize the inflation.

The inflatable cushion is the accessory with the highest reurn on investment by far.

BTW there should be just enough air to support the upper legs. Your butt should be JUST touching in two places.