Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Welcome

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the StipersOnline kayak fishing board. This is a forum to exchange ideas and info about what I feel is a means of fishing which has tremendous potential. How many times did you go surf fishing only to watch a school of feeding gamefish from just out of reach to a mile or so? I must tell you more often than not this has happened to me. This is why most fisherman start kayak fishing. Its the reason I did.

I bought my first kayak for fishing in March. I had a friend who got me a proform which was a great deal. Unfortunately I couldn't fly fish out of it. Also it wouldn't manuever. The thing tracked too well. So I sold it and tested a lot of yaks. All yaks for fishing are a compromise but I feel that a few things are essential. Stability, manueverabilty and enough places to attach and carry the gear you'll need.

Kayak fishing started on the west coast out of southern California and is gaining popularity nationwide, both freshwater and saltwater. Probably the least developed area of the country being fished via kayak is the northeast. With our diverse areas we're a natural. Our bays are terrific and easily accessed.

I've been a float tube freshwater fisherman since the late 70s and love fishing from the tube. Unfortunately float tubes are dangerous in the salt. The answer is the kayak and I look forward to many days on the yak catching fish. I've used a yak to fish lakes, rivers and Raritan bay so far. I built a set of wheels, whcih attach easily through the rear drain holes and several lakes where I would hike into with a float tube will now have me going in with the yak. I look forward to the increased range. Another thing I really like about a yak is that they can go into extremely shallow water. 6 inches is plenty of water to float a yak. Very stealthy. Also I've had schools of breaking fish go right under me and fish would break within arms legnth. The yak doesn't faze them.

Today I'm meeting SeaRobyn and we're gonna look for some fun in Raritan Bay with our yaks.

I want to know if anyone here is fishing the yak from Long Island? I am really thinking about this, but need some advice. I fish the Fire Island Inlet, and the South shore alot. Can I yak on the south shore with some safety? I don't recall seeing anyone on the south shore yet in a Yak. Demo Pt.-- Jones Beach-- WEII-- Sore thumb--Gilgo? If there are any LI Yaker's on this board get in touch with me and let me know the deal. I really want to try this.

------------------

TeeDubYa

@optonline.net

Tim and I have an open invite from Crazy Alberto to come up and learn the area around there in the yaks, soon very soon we'll be there. Alberto would be one of the guys to talk to about yaking these area's.biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Yes... yes... alright - ALRIGHT... I admit it! I fish Sore Thumb, Jones, Gilgo, Demo!

And Yes... it's my home turf and recently have been fishing with my yak! cwm24.gif

So... when are ya coming to town? teedubya - where do you fish and which town are you from?

cwm12.gif "Crazy" Alberto

[This message has been edited by Crazy Alberto (edited 08-14-2000).]

Alberto I'm in babylon, just off the SS Pkwy exit 37. I fish the south shore, mostly The thumb,Demo,WE2, Field 6, Moses 2, Sunken Med. I don't flyfish Alberto, don't know how and I'm still learning to surfcast. I just want to have more access to fish because the shore line, open beach just isn't happening for me as much as I'd like in the limited areas that I do fish in. That's another reason I asked for directions to the possible fling areas you suggested out east. Looking to catch some fish and it's not working in the areas around the home base.

Teedubya

[This message has been edited by teedubya (edited 08-15-2000).]

Hi Teedubya,

What is your email?

I live in Lindenhurst (Babylon)and I noticed you fish in my turf. smile.gif Let's arrange something soon and I'll gladly show you some of my spots. What would you like to target? Tautog, Fluke, weakfish, stripers, blues, porgies, triggers, seabass, kingfish, spanish macs, bonita... you name it, and I know where they are. All from the Great South Bay shoreline! wink.gif

Alberto my email is below.

I'm in Wheatley Heights, and I'd like to get together with you and chase the elusive unicorns and weaks. Anytime you say is just fine with me.

------------------

TeeDubYa

@optonline.net

Alberto I enjoyed our brief conversation, and look forward to hearing from you again. I'm still available to fish whenever you are. I'd give you a call but you didn't say when your normally at home so drop me a email or give me a call you have the number.

Teedubya