Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sebastian

What came first?

6 posts in this topic

Just curious, what did most of you guys start doing first, kayaking or fishing? I have been fishing for a while, have a boat, fish from shore and now am going to try kayak fishing. I find I enjoy both surfishing and boat fishing equally as much, maybe surfishing a little more cause I feel so close to the action. This should be an interesting season.

Sebastian

I definitely started fishing first, but I must warn you... kayaks are highly addictive angling vehicles. I bought a yak mainly because of its great advantages for fishing (and I can't afford a boat yet), but I've grown to love kayaking in itself. There's nothing more exciting than bluefish blitzing within feet from you, and there's nothing more beautiful than paddling on Barnegat Bay and watching the sunset.

Good luck this season.

-SR

SeaRobing definitely has it right. My story parallels his; I grew up fishing then a couple years ago I got into paddling (whitewater initially, then sea), now I get to combine the two.

Chris

I started surf-fishing, then I bought a boat, then I took up fly-fishing, then I bought a kayak, then I bought a bigger yak and sold the boat. Fishing came first. Peter did it in the Red Sea before the Inuit invented the yak.

I was fishing long before I could even think of owning a vessle of sorts. Started out with a 19' Sea Ray that I still have but don't use and than got into Fly fishing. After seeing so many spots that I wanted to plant my feet on I figured why not try a yak and I have to say, it's the best thing I ever bought, mobility, ease of launch, you can pull up to an island or beach and just drag it up and it doesn't spook the fish.wink.gif

Once you go yak, you never go back!!!smile.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I've only been yak fishing a year but fishing over 40. I love fishing from a yak and yaking in general. It gives you tremendous accessiblilty to many places that were unreachable before. The versatility is fantastic. The yak doesn' spook fish either. They come really close. I also like the exercise that I get while fihing with my yak.