Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Launch Spots

5 posts in this topic

Marksharky's request for Ft. Monmouth launch spots made me think that it would be good to discuss this topic. As more and more guys join the sport this topic is going to come up a lot.

There are public access points and ones that aren't. The second category generally requires stealth, etc. Often they are hard learned and just like land based spots many yakkers might not share. Sometimes its OK to hit these access points with a few guys, once in a while. Repeated use might eliminate them for all. So keep in mind that there may be reasons that a place might not be shared. Westchester and western Long Island are loaded with these types of places as are the Shrew and Nav in NJ. I have no doubt that CT has plenty also. Fishing at night is often the best remedy but this can have its challanges also. Many towns don't allow overnight parking on the street. Nothing's worse than having fun catching fish and you have to get out of the water so you can get your vehicle off the street by midnight. The first tme Joey told me this I was very surprised. I really thought that he was kidding at first.

I've learned a lot of launch points through effort expended. I have driven down every side street of places like Raritan River and Bay, the Shrewsbury and Navesinks, Hackensack, Passaic, etc. Kayakjoe has done the same in his area too. My point is that sometimes you have to put in some effort. When ST and I fished the Hackensack last fall he asked how I ever found the spot to put in. I smiled and said that I worked for it.

Some places have been shown to me. I don't share these if my host requests that I don't. These spots are not the sharing type.

There are plenty of places to fish that have good public access and they're good places to start. I answered Marky's question because all but one of the spots are very public and don't present any problems sharing.

Public launch for Raritan Bay at Union Beach is small and is a high tide thing but for a kayak it should be fine. Take Rt 36 to Poole Ave to Florence Ave take this to the end. Make a right, go about 1/4 mile and make a left, just before going over the little bridge. Launch ramp is there, it does get "busy" though.

Good topic, a North NJ ocean launching spot. Whenever there is a bit of a swell this area will make it easier to get through the breakers, Allenhurst, NJ Just south of Deal. Parking is fine day or night you will have to drag or carry the Yak about 150 yards down a ramp, so if the Yak fully loaded wheels may come in handy. Take Ocean Ave. through Long Branch & Deal as you enter Allenhurst make a left on Spier avenue & park. You will notice a T type jetty that juts out far enough to keep swells from breaking unless it is large. Then the surfers will be all over it & you will not want to go out smile.gif. Any way from this point you have very good area with lots of Jetties to troll or fish off of "jetty row".