Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfrat666

Size matters?

6 posts in this topic

What size rods do most of you guys use on the yaks? I tried trolling last year, but I think I'd rather try casting into breakers/fish with a spinning rod.

Along those lines (drifiting and casting), I'd like to try one of those sea anchors you've been talking about. Do they make the kayak lean to one side? Till now I've been hanging my feet off the side to slow me down. Sometimes I'll sit broadside for stability with both feet on the same side. Obviously, I;m using a sit-on top (competition surf ski) that i've added a seeairsport seat and flush mount rod holder to (behind my left shoulder). Thanks for any input.

Surfrat666....welcome to the site!smile.gif

I like shorter rods with a short butt for yak fishing, I'm also fishing in a Sit in type so I don't have the room for the extra butt length that the SOT's allow for. For spinning I found the Lami GP964 8' one peice to be an excellent blank for this. It will handle plugs up to 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounces and then some if needed.wink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I use mostly 6.5-7' rods. I build them with short butts which I find make it easier to move the rod around the yak.

As for the drift sock, no they don't make you lean. I think anyone that fishes from a yak should have one. It's much more usefull than an anchor.

I like a longer rod also. Its especially helpfull when fish dive under the yak. The length allows you to clear the yak. Short butts make it easier to put the rod in holders. My favorite rods have longer butts and don't present problems for my setup.

Sea Anchors are great and don't cause the boat to lean. I generally throw mine out the back. I've got several in stock. Where are you located?

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 08-02-2001).]