Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffblair

Amps and hours

8 posts in this topic

I pick up my new "Super Pungo" sunday and my first purchase for it will be a 40 lb thrust Rip Tide trolling motor. I eyeballed deep charge trolling batteries at Walmart and the only one they carried is a 75 amp hour. Anyone know how many hours of trolling I can expect out of 75 amp hours using the Riptide? Cliff

COnsidering the size of your motor your probably looking at 35-40 amp draw at open throttle. This translates to merely 2 hours, but at lower settings dont be suprised if you get twice that.

With the price of DIGITAL volt meters down to as low as $10 you shouldn't leave home without one. It really leaves little to chance. At 12.65 volts you have a full charge. At 12.35 your running low. It's better than a gas guage. It's really hard to predict what usage will be but with the DVM you'll really get a handle on it quickly. It's also unlikely that you'll run it a full throttle for any extended period if your primary purpose is fishing but why guess?

I agree Ken, bought the digital meter. I was thinking maybe buy 2 medium batteries instead of one giant trolling battery, a lot easier to handle and I would know the half way mark exactly. The motor would be just for trolling so would be a low draw. I will test the motor with a barrel of water and see just how long it runs on full charge and see how low the voltage gets...Cliff

I think I would try just the one first. You're not pushing around a 20' Ranger. You'll probably find that you won't use full power all that much and at the lower powers the current draw really drops off.

I think that most guys, regardless of the boat will err on the side of caution and overdesign. As an engineer at least by education, I believe that more is better is not always best. There could easily come a time when the thought of carrying those two batteries is just enough to persuade you to stay home.

I did a little research on line about batteries. Deep charge trolling batteries outlast car batteries up to 10 times. Never get salt water in your battery, it will generate deadly chlorine gas!!!!

A good rule of thumb for both fusing your TM from the batteries & their consumption is .75 to .8 amps per 1 pound of thrust.

Don't cheap out on the charger either, get one with an auto shut off so you don't "cook" your battery.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com