Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surf cast fool

Okuma Solaris Rod - spin or baitcast?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I just recieved an Okuma Solaris 12MH rod as a gift. I don't know much about it. Does anyone have any thoughts about this rod in general. It seems the eyelets are small for a spinning rod, is this a baitcaating rod? Any recommendations regarding reels? I always throw bait from the shore; usually 5 to 6 oz play calms or chunks. I have a cheap penn captiva but I am looking to purchase a new reel.

No, I have not had any problems with the captiva other than the live liner control not automatically re-engaging after I had disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled. It took me a whie to realize I had tightened down on a screw in a pivot point too much. In any event - no, the bail has not closed on me in during a cast, but you should know that I am new to fishing and I don not have a casting technique (yet) and do not really load the rod.

Welcome to this site.

Your okuma 12' sounds like it is a conventional rod made for fishing with a conventional reel. It is a nice rod if you can cast with a 12' rod.

This rod if it has small guides, it is made only for a conventional reel. You will not get good distance and you casting will be reduced.

Thanks for the welcomes and info. Young Salt- I checked the model number and it is indeed a SSC type (conventional) Thanks for the tip. Now I need to find a good reel to match it. Well I was interested in trying conventional.

thanks to all.