Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ake

Fast kayak for fishing

13 posts in this topic

Anyone out there have any preferences for a FAST (point A to B) sit -inside touring kayak for a Tall and 230-plus lbs. Fisherman?

I tend to cover a lot of H20 when I fish and would like to upgrade from my current boat (Loon 138).I've got a SOT that I'm very happy with (Wild.Sys Freedom).Would like a sit-in to paddle all year-round AND fish out of. Choppy, rough rocky coastlines and sea-swells, Beach waves and currents are what I fish/paddle in. Any suggestions?

Hi gm,

What are your other criteria? Weight/budget?

There's a lot out there now, you should paddle as many as you can before you get serious abt one. Considered building a stitch and glue? You can usually find kits starting around 600 bucks that are pretty light weight and quick. 17 feet of tupperware can be pretty heavy, heavier putting it on the car than taking it off.

Jim

If you,ve fished the Freedom you're more than comfortable with a relatively tippy SOT. That means you may want to really buy yourself some speed with a longer, narrower boat. Do you want a tight cockpit, or a relatively big, open cockpit?

Are you also sure you don't want to add on the layers of insulation and go with something like a WS Tarpon SOT? I'm still a big fan of SOTs under all conditions because they always float, and you never get stuck inside. I think sit insides only offer the illusion of warmth until you go over. Just my 2 cents, don't mean to question your decision.

gm -

I read you mentioned the Loon 138. Is anything wrong with that for fishing? Were there any problems and is that the reason you are upgrading? I'm looking at a Loon right now and just waiting till I see it go on sale. If there are any problems I'd like to know about it before I waste my $. I'm a big guy also and want to be able to use it on the occasional weekend trip. I will be fishing Cape Cod Bay and protected harbors.

gm - you're looking for really fast yaks. I'm not familiar with Sit Ins. Take a look at a few SOTs like the Cobra Expedition, and the models from Heritage, and other long skinny SOTs.

Uncle Matt-Regarding your question about the 138...It's a great yak for fishing. I've got two of them.One I've tricked out for fishing(RAM rod tubes behind the cockpit,fishfinder etc...)I tend to cover long distances when I fish (10+miles)and lots of open H20, always choppy.The 138 is a big, wide stable ride that suits me great on those shorter trips.I'm looking for a boat (narrower, longer) that I can take further(and still fish with).You know...I want to go "farther" and "faster".No"one" boat is ideal for every purpose, the 138 does a lot well though.

I'm looking to sell one of mine(the stock model).Two years old, used maybe a dozen times (babied by the Wife,does have some surface scratches on bottom) is Blue.

Uncle Matt (or anyone else interested) let me know. I live in MA.

I'm a big sit inside fan, and have never felt even close to going over in my Perception America. It's also a pretty fast boat, a foot longer and much sleeker than, say a Pungo, and at 45 pounds easy to get on and off a car. Collinsville Canoe and Kayak has good prices at this time of year, and you can paddle the boats up there on the Farmington river. It does have a large open cockpit and is clearly not as fast as the true sea-touring boats.

Likewise a sit-inside fan, although I do think some SOTs offer some fishing advantages, especially if you're not going very far. For sit-insides, I like Neckys and Wilderness Systems plastic boats for build quality in mid-price ranges. Have used both. For long hauls, you might look at WS Sealution XL--good for big guys, closed cockpit, lots of speed. Rented one last year in Maine and liked it a lot. (Can't afford the fiberglass and/or kevlar cadillacs like Current Designs makes.)

For speed and all-day comfort, I don't think you can beat a full-blown sea-touring model.

Deck-mounted bag right in front of you to hold small tackle boxes, lunch, cell phone, etc. Mount rod holders as you like 'em. Room for more stuff down around your legs. The ultimate answer, of course, is to own 2 or 3 different kayaks for different purposes. They're like rods--no one boat does it all best.

I am a SOT fan largely due to the fact I fish alone. My speed/distance point to point yaks are the Heritage Sea Dart and the Heritage Nomad II Fast Touring. While seeing how far I could take the Nomad on it's side I was distracted by my wife calling my name and I ended up not having my head above my arse and poof I was in the water. I had my PFD on but with the swells and never mounting this yak in deep water before, it took quite awhile to remount. I tried from the side several times and had 3 stooges type rollovers which my wife enjoyed emensely. Then when all else failed I had to mount it from the rear which pulling 230lbs up on the rear deck in rough water had its problems as well. After a few attempts I was back at the helm exhausted and thankful it was a SOT instead of a SIS.

When I got home I put a paddle float in both yaks to ease the effort required for a deepwater entry in the future.

I can hear the SIS guys saying they would of barrel rolled and avoided the whole senario. Well that is a learned and practiced manuever after lots of training and time. I don't want to be a "Kayaker." I want to use it to extend my range while fishing. I don't want to spend time in a pool or lake mastering my craft.....I want to fish and safely return home.

Believe me If I was spun under water and had to self rescue while my yak was filling with water in 30' of water by myself at night I wouldn't be typing this today at my level of proficiency in kayaking.

Just a thought to those who may be looking to enter the sport of kayak fishing. Ask yourself what your wants are, what your needs are, and how much time and money are you willing to spend inorder to accomplish your goal. Consider SAFETY first!

After taking some good rolls from 4-6ft waves more than 100 yards off shore. I am a committed (or should be committed) SOT fan. The Sea Dart has lots of speed but the high sides create a little difficulty with re-entry. None the less, if you can get your belly up over the cockpit you can roll into the seat pretty easily.

If you end up on the outside of most fishing SIS models you have a real project getting the water out and you back in. Add some wave action and distance from shore to that equation and you've got a major issue.

If your going to pick a SIS for the ability to roll, you may be looking at a boat too narrow to easily fish. Most fishable SIS are too beamy and too open to roll well. If you get a SIS with a beam of say 22" or less you'll get lots of speed but one good lateral pull and your going to experience the kayaker's version of the Poseidon Adventure. Not bad if you plan it, but really bad if your holding a fishing rod.

Most of my early education with kayak fishing was based on the lower West Coast model of fishing. They have cold water and waves which definitely shades your perception of the sport.

Thanks all for the solid advice.As far as picking up a real speed-burner, my size keeps me out of most touring boats.I've found the Perception Captiva and the Necky Eskia pretty comfortable Rec/Touring kayaks.Not so skinny that I'll dump 'em w/a fish on.Anyone paddle these?

gm - if you dress properly an SOT will handle any weather and you'll be dry and comfortable. As many on this board can attest a pair of stockingfoot breathable waders and kayak or flats booties along with a Black Rock (or similar with a great waist closure system along with neck and wrists) kayak top works great. DASBOOT and Marksharky jump in regularly. DAS to practice re-entry and Marksharky lands his kayak from the surf that way rather than riding the waves in and risking a dumping.

My buddy Derrick is 6'5" and 315#s. He paddles a Cobra Tourer. Its got good speed and 15' and great stability with its low profile and 28" width.