Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
t.lapinski

Dry top?

13 posts in this topic

There's a few guys here that use that top. It will work with waders. But you must cinch the neoprene neck and wrist so it fits snug. If you don't and you end up in the water. Your waders will fill with water.

lapinski,

I've been wearing yak tops in the surf for the last few years. I think it's the way to go. I've been thru a few different tops, here's my thoughts.

First, there's a difference between a dry top and a splash top. The Blackrock is a splash top. A true dry top has latex neck and wrist gaskets, whch are the only material that really keeps water out. Some manufacturers are getting close with soft side neoprene, but latex is a real seal.

As always, it depends on what you want. Latex is is PIA to get on and off and needs to be properly sized to be comfotable. YOu still feel like you have a rubberband around your neck. There is a couple of tops that offer latex wrist seals and neo neck seal, which is pretty good compromise. I think you MUST have at leat latex on the wrists. If you stick your hand in the water to grab a fish or if you're wading deep, a top like the blackrock will leave you with wet arms.

I bought a Bomber Gear "Bomb" top last year. It has latex at the neck and wrists. Properly belted over waders, I can push out to far rocks with wetsuiters without taking on water, but it's not suitable for freeswimming for a few reasons. They don't make a wave that can get me wet.

A good top along the lines of a true dry top are the NRS Revolution(breathable) or the Bomber Gear Hydrology(non breathable), the Lotus Nemo and others. Also, Alberto and Kadir have had a top made for surf use, based on YAk top design. It goes by the name Aquaskin and should be available vry soon.

So you have the chooses of what kind of seals, then decide breathable or not. Breathable is great for most use, but when it gets cold, I think non-breathable is warmer.

You can find a lot of dry/splash tops on sale. Look at REI Outlet, NRS for sales and Mountain Miser.

Oz - thanks for the info! i just checked ot the sierra trading post website. they have the bomber gear bomb jacket on sale for $189 from $315 retail. so this is a good jacket?

TL,

I like it. It's similar to the NRS Revolution. I think Bomber Gear might even make them for NRS. Just keep in mind that most tops are not sized to have a lot of layers under them, get at least a size larger than you think you need(Sierra is good on returns, that's where I got mine).

t.lapinski if you wait and watch the Bomber Gear Top on Sierra will come down in price to around $100. You just have to be patient and check out there price everyday. It will come down. I bought my Bomber Gear Top from them for a very cheap price and I'm very happy with the top.

Its all relative and what you want. Many of the guys who bought a Black Rock for the yak say its the best surf jacket they've every used. Gul has a dry top and even with my strong gag reaction its comfortable on me. It only retails for $150. Problem is it only comes in yellow.

If you go with NRS go big as they run very small. Gul conversely runs big. They're XL is larger then NRSs XXL.

Alberto's top sounds very interesting. I look forward to seeing it and using it. Afterall he's one hardcore fisherman and knows what he likes, and doesn't like.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

I've been happy with a Kokotat splash jacket that has neoprene wrists and a velcro neck on it.Double tunneled waist( for spray skirt attachment) that is very dry.

Having a gasket around my neck has always bothered me.

I can't even wear turtlenecks!!!!! let alone a rubberized choke inducing collar.

With that said..............I'll also add that I stay off the water when its this cold

Nice long and short sleeved Harmony Palm paddle tops on sale, just reduced, at rei-outlet in a good assortment of sizes at $39 and $64,-Closeouts. This may be what you're looking for.