Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

Battery installation.

11 posts in this topic

My battery for the fish finder arrived yesterday.

I have already gotten suggestions from some of you but can I get more specifics as to type of container used, wiring ideas, positioning in the yak, etc.

It's going in a Cobra "Navigator".

I've seen Flounders setup and hope to see Oznovads soon.

All info welcome!

DASBOOTbiggrin.gif

Das, a super dense foam cut out that battery will fit into snuggly, glued to bottom og yak, take baterry with you when leave. That's in my die inside. My SOT, I have the same foam block glued down dohicky, but the wires are brought out through a smalll hole in my rubber hatch. Works very well, does let small amount of water in...you can look for a through hull electrical cable mount for boats, and possibly put the wire lead in thoug that in the foot well area somewhere. We used these types of conntraptions to run cable through the deck of the sail boat and never had leaking problems. Lot's of thropugh hull devices, check out boat US or west marine. My .02 cents...that's about 1.4 cents canadian. ScottO

On my navigator I mounted a 10 inch bucket hatch on the bow/ This holds my batteries secure and dry. Only 12 inches of wiring is exposed. All wire are secured by a wire clamp under the nuts that are holding the humingbird base down, I have tons of hatch kits in all sizes if you need one.

Barrell

SCOTTO,

I WAS IN HOME DEPOT YESTERDAY BUT THE FOAM THEY HAD WASN'T SUITABLE.

I'll give some yak shops a call to see if they have any packing foam.

Maybe there's a Foam.com or something.

Thanks for the ideas!

Joev,

When all else fails...........DUCT TAPE!!!!!

I won't forget!!!!

DASBOOTbiggrin.gif

Barrel,

Is the bucket hatch the same as the "O" hatch

on the Navigator.

I already have that huge "A" hatch in the bow.

I plan on putting the batt. somewhere in there.

Thanks!

DASABOOT

Hey Das, what kind of hatches do you have? We have viking hatches and Santiago II has rigged all his electronics to mount to the top and bottom of the hatch. Battery and wire below, FF on top. Just swaps out the FF hatch cover for the plain one when no electronics needed. It's actually pretty neat. We figure a way to replace the tupper ware hatches of the swing with Viking Twist Lock hatches. Works well. ScottO

Scotto,

I have 2 hatches on my Navigator.

An "O" hatch approx. 10" in dia.situated right between my legs.

This has a removeable bucket inside.

In the bow there is a large "A" hatch whichs allows access to the entire hull area.

Both of these lock down using "T" shaped twist handles.

I guess these are what you refer to as Viking

Twist locks.

At this point I'm prety sure I'm going to put the batt. inside the hull possibly right below the deck mounted screen.

A tight fitting cutout foam carrier was suggested.

PS....I have no need fr the speed sensor.

West Marine wants $76.36 for it.

I'm asking $55.

Thanks.

DASBOOT

Das, Yes that is the hatch I am talking about. Since You have the triagle You cant do it that way. The foam we use is closed cell poly the same stuff boogie boards are made out of. Many times You see an old boogie board in the trash - stop and grab it the foam is priceless in a yak I use it for all kind of things.

Barrell

DASBOOT,I have a Navigator with a fish finder in it.The battery sits inside a small plastic box that has notches for the wires to run through it.A custom made bungee cord runs through the box with clips on both ends.the box sits between the two scupper holes near the center O hatch.When the clips are joined it not only attaches it to the scupper holes but pulls the battery tight against the box.this totally prevents the battery from shifting.You can even flip the yak upside down and it won't budge.It only takes a few seconds to connect and disconnect the whole unit.

Doug M