Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandtiger

Newbie to Site

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Name is Gary and I live in the Yorktown area of Vrginia. Fairly new to kayaking and kayak fishing. I have a WS Tarpon 140 that's rigged for fishing. The largest thing I've caught to date is a cow nose ray that went about 20 to 25 pounds. It towed me all over the place.

I also own a Wellcraft NOVA w/a cuddy that I fish inshore and offshore (Rudee Inlet, VA Beach; Oregon Inlet; Hatteras Inlet). I use the kayak for flats fishing around the Poquoson Virginia area although last month I caught a couple of citation spot from the kayak over top of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel in about 30 feet of water.

Looks like an interesting web site.

This was my 1st yr. also with the 140. icon14.gif

Cow Nosed ray huh ? I've never had the pleasure but I have known some shore bound anglers telling tales of being spooled by cow nosed. Must have been a great tow.

Cownose... that reminds me of the last time I yaked the Chesapeake. Was chumming and lightlining soft crab on my 5' ul spinner, with 150 yds of 2 lb dia. power pro. Having a ball catching bass to 28 inches and ginormous white perch, I felt the distinctive bump of a large striper. Upon setting the hook, I realized it was one of those overgrown cows(not as in "female striper", but the bleeping ray that I was sure would be the biggest striper from the yak yet)Needless to say, I didn't have enough line to let him run, so instead I was drug around for a good 15 minutes. I absolutely needed my hook back as it was my last one... I could not get it back while sitting down, so I did what I had to... tightened the drag, held the rod with my mouth and shoulder, and paddled the 1/4 mile to the shore, hoping for the best all along the way. Somehow I got to the beach, fought the ray that had rejuvenated himself on the way to the beach, and an hour later, I had my hook back and successfully released the fish. Thankfully my buddy did not have the camera; I had to look ridiculous trying to paddle with a rod attached to a ray in my teeth...