Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adamgloucester

deck-mounted rod holders

9 posts in this topic

Here's a link to basspro, who sells good deck-mounted rod holders. It's convenient to mount the holder forward of the cockpit for trolling. The holder needs a backing plate belowdecks. Just place the holder far enough forward on deck that your rod and reel don't interfere with your paddle stroke. Link: http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=30260&hvarTarget=search& hvarAID=emailafrnd

Have exactly that tite lok mounted just as you suggest and have only one complaint: it can't handle any lateral loads. The twin stems pretzel around each other and the holder collapses. You thenj have to wrangle it back into shape. Clearly lacks torsional resistance. Anybody suggest a rod holder that doesn't?

The Scotty or the RAM will do the job. The RAM is around $50 but a very nice setup. The Scotty is less than half and will do everything you ask it to do. Cabelas has both. I carry the Scotty but only got a couple left.

Another note, Scotty has the only Fly Rod holder that I know of. Its the reason that I carry Scotty.

After seeing Scott and Brians Ram holders ,I think I will purchase a couple for the pungo.It looks like a nice set up for behind the seat area.However I got to get something for the front like a scotty to hold rod while moving aroud or live bait fishing.Guys if you read this has a ram ever been pulled down while trolling ?

joev

Hi Everyone, I've never had one pulled over, but a couple of caveats...First,a rod holder is only as good as the material it is constructed out of and the quality of the installation. All must be seriuosly back plated. This can be done with an old white plastic cutting board cut into squares or discs of wood, something. I've started putting a star washer between the top unit and the hull, on the outside, this produces a bit more holding so lateral forces can be counter acted. I have only mounted mine throught the center hole (of the ram ball), so there is a pivot possiblity, but they can be mounted with multiple screws/bolts for more stability.

I think any fish could move the left rod holder towards the back, as if trolling, as this is the directions the threads go, think about it, to unscrew them you twist them to the left while holding the nut underneath. The right rod holder would actually be pulled tighter as you troll because that's the direction to tighten it. Lefty loosy, righty tighty.

I've tried several mounts and companies. Scotties seem to get high praise, especially with the fly rodding crowd. The ram system has the rocket launcher tubes which accept any spining or baitcasting rod/reel combo, not so hot for fly. They also have lots of accessories and can be moved from boat to boat as the bases can be had for 10-12 bucks. I use the micro system to hold my electronics.

Don't forget to add a paddle leash. I use about 18-24 inches of a high quality bungee card knotted in the base of the RAM, and looped at the other end. Then a cheapo Lowes carabiner, $.97. I have prefereed to add to each of my rods and paddles, a flashlight holder made for the small mag lights. It's got a rubber ring and sewn on clip. I clip the two together and I'm set. Santiago II uses a piece of rope or a large rubber o ring on his equipment. Neither of us has lost items. Well my long two cents. ScottO

RAM has a Scotty Type Attachment (the RAM "rod holder")which I use rarely. I'll take a picture of it and post it. It attaches to the same mounting base.

I have had several 70 -90 pound Tarpon hit RAM mounted rods. The rods were 9' long so that makes for lots of leverage to the fishes advantage. The tarpon pulled on them for several seconds before I even knew they were there. The rods bend like crazy but the RAM tubes will hold. The only warning is to make sure you have your tube mount twisted down tight. I also have leashes on all the rods just in case.

Just another quick test to see if I can post an image, sorry for moving this up...ScottO

kayakimage2.gif

Scott, the image needs to be a jpg. You can load it onto SOL by using the paper clip icon on the post form.

JonS

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 11-10-2001).]

Here's another try, having difficulty making the images small enough to be uploaded. Hope it works. Sorry for the testing. ScottOimg

[This message has been edited by ScottO (edited 11-10-2001).]