Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
medicresq536

Jamaica Bay

18 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has fished J-bay in their yak? Also is anyone attending the J-Bay Tourney held by Kayak F*sh*ng st*ff in May? I tested the demo yaks lat year, and this year I'm itchin to fish it.

must go fishing must go fishingcwm31.gifgotta go fishing gotta go fishing

It's a great place to fish. From a kayak you can get into so many places that other boats will never see. I fished the tournament last year and the year before and always have a blast.

I'm intersted. Never fished there before, but there's a first time for everything.It would be great if someone can post the info. If not, would someone Pm me the info, or a link to it.

Thnx!

BassSwimming1.gif

"BORDERLINE 11"

I fished there several times last year and did pretty good with bluefish. I missed the kayak tourn. last year due to work, but I will be there this year for sure. There are a few easy launch sites, and there were fish almost every place i tried.

I fish Jamaica bay regularly, It's an excellent place for kayak fishing. I've been on the water by "the boil" on low tide and caught stripers on almost every cast one day with my pal Gabe, (him more than me) while the boaters were only able to watch us, they couldn't get that shallow. I also fished the tourey last year, you won't find a better bunch of guys, Jon had a nice raffle at the end where he gave away 2 or 3 brand new kayaks, and a bunch of other stuff. Try not to miss it this year....

I plan on fishing the Jamaica Bay tourney in May.I fish mainly De. & southern NJ beaches/bays. I'm looking for some tips on the type of tackle that is used up there that time of year, ie: bait & rigs, plugs,soft plastics,hot colors,styles, etc........

Any help would be appreciated!

Surfn,

Here is something from the KFS site about the J-bay tourney.

"AS to J-Bay compared to barnegate bay. J-Bay is excellent lure and fly fishing at this time of year. I've had up to 40 fish days on plugs in early May. Generally it's a very safe bay. Probably the most dangerous area is the channel in front of the launch. It's a major shipping channel and some really big boats come through. First tourney bluefish were blitzing there and lots of anglers stopped to fish while a barge was coming through. Not a good idea. Ships have the right of way. So don't fish major channels. There's so much great terrain to fish where boats really can't get to. The wind is the real factor if its there but there's lots of islands and places to tuck out of the way. Last year there was a lot of wind, most times there isn't.

"

tube and worm works great, wild eyes, works great, trolling a fly works great. Bubble gum on a bluegill hook works great. It;s really a great fishery and as far as yak assembly goes, should be one of the bigger ones. I hope to be ther friday and saturday am, returning late saturday evening and fish Sunday too. Scott

Surfn,

Here is something from the KFS site about the J-bay tourney.

"AS to J-Bay compared to barnegate bay. J-Bay is excellent lure and fly fishing at this time of year. I've had up to 40 fish days on plugs in early May. Generally it's a very safe bay. Probably the most dangerous area is the channel in front of the launch. It's a major shipping channel and some really big boats come through. First tourney bluefish were blitzing there and lots of anglers stopped to fish while a barge was coming through. Not a good idea. Ships have the right of way. So don't fish major channels. There's so much great terrain to fish where boats really can't get to. The wind is the real factor if its there but there's lots of islands and places to tuck out of the way. Last year there was a lot of wind, most times there isn't.

"

Hello, thanks for the post. I'm interested in entering the J-Bay tourney this year, but I'm interested in a few things. First, you mention the "Launch" in your post, but specifically what launch are you refering to, and where is it? Also, where would I get info on entering the tourney and any other important info.? Thanks. M.

YOu really have to go over to the kayak fishing stuff web site, we're not allowed ot post links here. Second, the launch is the focal point of the event. It was the original pan american clipper ship launch point. It's a concrete ramp about 120 feet wide, and goes all the way to the water. It's where the sea planes used to launch from. Good luck. Looking bleak fo rme making it there this year. Scott

If anyone is looking to get a map of where the tournament is you can use this address :

3200 Flatbush Ave.

Brooklyn, NY 11234

That's the golf driving range just up the road. Otherwise, look up Gateway National Parks in NY then look for Floyd Bennet field which is where the launch and the campground are. The easiest way is via the Belt Parkway, but be careful, no commercial vehicles. Not sure of campers. Otherwise you have to use an alternate route, which I'll post as we get near the tourny. Use of the campground has been arranged, but you have to get all the details from the other site that was mentioned earlier. See you there!