Launch Spots

OK I have a new Yak arriving Tue or Wed next week and I'd like to get it in the water real soon.

What I don't know is where are some of the spots you guys launch from, if there not secrets I'd like some help please.

I'll be using the Ocean Prowler. I'd like to hook up with some guys so I can learn the ropes if you will. PM me if your willing to teach me a few things.

Teedubya

OK... Now we have a starting point! Well I live out east so I maintly go Yaking in the Peconic River. There are alot of put-in's all around Riverhead, some that will lead out to Peconic Bay. I also live near the Sound so i'll launch right from my local town beach. cool.gif

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane!

Best thing you can do is spend $14 or so on a Hagstrom Map and go exploring icon14.gif

Hagstroms have shown me lots of places to put in and find out of the way ( for Long Island eek.gif )launching areas.

Don't know Babylon much...

Also first time out I'd leave the fishing gear behind and just get a feel for the new yak.

Play around with the boat and put her thru some paces...

Good luck and have fun!!! smile.gif

ipspest.... that sounds like good advice, as this will be my first time out, I've been told by another friend that I should learn the boat before I begin fishing from it. Try getting off and back on the boat so it's no great suprise if I should have to do it on the water with my gear.

I have the hagstroms, so I'll take a closer look and see if I can find some areas on my own.

Thanks

Definitely jump off the boat and see what needs to be done to get back on her HappyWave.gif

water is nice n warm now and is perfect for playing around in.

Paddle around and when your comfy...lean over.

see how far you can take her before the initial stability says " see ya and dumps you into the drink biggrin.gif

Then climb back aboard and do it again icon14.gif

One good word of advice( from an instructor cwm15.gif )

Never let go of your paddle and try to never let the kayak drift away!!!!Small wind can drift the boat away faster than Mark spitz can swim( in his prime biggrin.gif )

Wear you PFD!

Even if its hot as a bugger !

heres another tip... make sure you can get the Yak on and off your car/truck before you go out. Make sure it's nice and snug and wont slip off as you drive down the road. Also, if you are going alone, make sure you can load and unload it alone. cwm40.gif

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane!

IpsPest Thats two good nevers smile.gif I'll be Da.. sure to remember those two.

Stephut you came in right on time as I just added a boat loader to my roof rack. I used the Yakima setup and I was thinking that the Ocean Prowler is going to be a good job loading and unloading from the top of a Isuzu Trooper, as I'm only 5'7". So I just tried the boat loader down at Empire Kayak in Nassau and I was able to load the Prowler by myself, but it's still a job but I can handle it. Good looking out thanks for that info .

Teedubya

• 2 weeks later...

a good first launch is from the OBI lot, a short drag to the bay and you can get bass and blues on the sand bars on high tide and fluke on the edges.

use the wind and the tide to your advantage the first few trips and practice falling off and getting on in shallow water!

wear a PFD!

I'm not in denial....I'm just very selective about the reality I accept...