Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

Girly Yak ??

14 posts in this topic

Guys, my wife has made a request that she would like a kayak for Christmas.

It will be used in quiet inside spots like the navesink and shrewsbury rivers.

I don't know much about anything that is not outboard powered so I ask for your help.

Beginner yak for a girl ?

Sit in or sit on top ?

I would like to try and keep the cost in the $500 neighborhood and if at all possible make it fishing friendly because when she gets bored with it I may give it a go wink.gif

I have a CD Breeze I'm looking to part with that was only used for one season. Sit in, good stability, great tracker. If you're in an SOT she'll have no problem keeping up, in fact you might have to keep up with her.

PM me if you're interested.

------------------

"If you liked your job as much as you like fishing, we'd be millionaires." - My Wife

What are your dimensions? Height, weight, etc. That will help.

Tarpon 120 retail is $599. Comes with an good integrated seat.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 12-17-2002).]

KML My wife paddles a Tarpon 16 .Might be a bit overkill but I wanted the best extra yak I could get.Tarpon 120 should do her right though.

A SOT is much better for getting in/out.IMHO much better for fishing or anything else for a rec. yak.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Tarpon 16 ftr is really too much yak for a 125 lb woman, kayak needs to be sized to the paddler. On the other hand it'll probably fit you fine. I haven't been anywhere near a 120 yet but if they paddle any where near as well as the 160 it should go to the top of yr list. Does she know who she is going to be paddling with and what they paddle? SOT's are safer, if she dumps it self rescue amounts to hauling herself back in. You can get more efficient paddling SINKs but the difference won't be noticed unless she is paddling distances of some miles and/or in wind and chop. A SINK roughly 14 ft with a narrow beam of say 22 inches would fly for her but she has to acquire a skill set to keep it safe and fun. This might be important if she was paddling with a gang of sea kayakers. You also have to consider the weight of the boat if she is going to be handling the thing by herself, for 500 bucks or so you are limited to tupperware and reducing weight pretty much means rducing the size.

Fishing..........SOT seems the way to go.

All else go with a sit inside.Takes more skill but the learning curve is fast.End result is you can do much more in varied conditions with a cockpitted boat/sprayskirt.

Dryer/warmer better selection etc. and reselling easier...........cause if she like the sport nobody keeps their first boat it seems.

She(and you) need to paddle different boats.It is truly the only way to know and I WOULD NOT go buying her a boat just so she has a nice Christmas gift.Give her a gift certificate to a paddle shop so in the late spring you can start trying asst boats.So many buy and regret because they didn't test paddle the thing.

Good luck.