Yak La Back ?

I think i know the answer already but i will ask anyway.I am considering a sit on top kayak for fishing but i have a history of back pain problems and wounder if any of you are in the the same situation.Is it possible to stand and stretch your back while in the yak?If i could last 1 1/2 hours at a time i would be happy.Some places near me rent yaks,i supose it would be a wise way to try it out don't you think?

There was a similar question on another kayak site. The answer came from a Dr. So maybe you should check it out. Also, I here different configurations in SOT kayak effect different back problems different ways, as does your stroke. Check out (another site)for a proffesional answer. I forgot which forum, main maybe?

[ 09-20-2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

Reelrydor

First of all, kayaking will eventualy make your back stronger and alot of your back pain will go away. I feel most of the back pain associated with kayaking comes from insuficent padding on the seat or a badly designed seat. So just renting any old kayak will no tell you what maybe a differnt kayak will do to your back. Aditional padding on the seat realy helps. You can simply place a nice comfy piece of foam on top of the seat. The best pad is an inflatable camping pad, half inflated.

Paddling technique also has alot to do with back pain as does choice of paddle. When paddling all the force generated has to get from your arms to the kayak. Your body is touching the kayak in 3 places, both feet and your butt. You want to send the energy to the kayak through your feet not your butt. If you paddle without pushing with your feet then your lower back will spazz out. The use of thigh straps also helps at it creates four more point for the paddling forces to be transfered to the yak.

Good paddling technique comes with time. There is no shortcut but do have someone show you the basics. A long slender ,lightwheight, and expensive touring paddle will save your back.

When we fish for 5 or 6 hours under bridges we will take at least one break on a beach and walk around,releive ourselves,drink water, and have a little snack. Water I beleive is important in reducing muscle fatigue.

Finaly there is always what I use. The foot propelled Hobie series of kayaks. Since I made the switch four years ago i have not experienced any back ,shoulder,or elbow pain.

Barrell

BARRELL