Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bernie

Explorer vs Exhilarator

11 posts in this topic

I could use some help deciding between these two.Nobody stocks SOT's in my area mad.gif and i'll only have very limited time to try before i buy when i get down to Jon's,who im working out a deal with.I have experience in SIS yaks but none at all with SOT's.The boat will be used mostly on lakes due to my location but my main interest is for use on ocean,bay in the LI area.Also rivers up here.About what class rapids can these handle.Any input much appreciated.Thanks!

Myself and barrell are probably the only people who can answer this question who post on the forums. The two are so similar. Its almost like choosing between twin sisters. Essentially they handle very similarly. The Explorer has a wider cockpit and a bit more room when an "A" hatch is installed. I don't like the Ex center hatch so I install the Cobra hatch with the pot. The ability to remove the pot and set up an internal pulley system greatly increases the usable storage in the kayak. The EX has built in handles that are nice.

Myself and barrell are probably the only people who can answer this question who post on the forums.

Jon...since yer fully 50% of the world's population of people qualified to answer the question - are yah gonna? wink.gif Cause if yer not, y'already said no one else (except barrell) should even bother giving an opinion smile.gif

- "About what class rapids can it handle?"

- "Explorer or Exhilarator" - which is better suited for the situations described by the poster?

Just trying to add some perspective HappyWave.gif

Personally? I like pie smile.gif

TimS

I did as Bernie also emailed me.

I wouldn't use it in anything above Class 2. For stuff like this its a very good kayak. Manuevers well.

Neither is better as they are practically the same. Good all around SOTs that will handle a variety of conditions. I wouldn't want to do a lot of long stuff with either but either is still an excellent choice for small creeks and ponds up to going out through the surf. Lots of Explorers in use by fishermen with lots of satisfied users. I used one for 2 years and Joey for 3. Not very many Ex's in use as its a new yak and many choose the WS 120 in this size. The Ex or Explorer are considerably lighter with much better storage then the 120. The 120 hatches suck, but it handles better. The 120 handles great and its the reason its so popular. If they fixed the hatches.......... but that's another project. wink.gif

First how tall and heavy are you. The exhilarator has more leg room than the explorer. The explorer is maxed out with guys 6 foot tall. I use s.o.t's on rivers all the time and commonly pass through foot high rapids. A little splashing but not a problem.On the rivers we like to get out all the time to fish bars and rock formations, hence the sot has a big advantage. The hatch on the emotion is less desirable so we stock them with or without incase a customer wants to install a Cobra bucket.Both kayaks are commonly flipped by inexperienced paddlers so start out in a safe shallow lake until you gain confidence.

Barrell

The explorer or exihlarator will work for someone your size but You are about the largest person who should consider those boats. A Cobra navigator might give you a little extra space.

Barrell

Bernie diesn't know what he wants to do. He started off looking at an 8' SOT and wanted to stay small. I suggested that if he wanted small at least go up to 11' or so. Now I haven't a clue what he's thinking, not sure if he does either. wink.gif

Jon,sad but true confused.gifVery difficult to narrow things down when you've never seen the boats in person,let alone try them on the water. I did consider briefly going all the way but decided against it as theres just too many nice boats on the horizon.That idea is off till next spring at least.Sooooo....im pretty much back on track-Explorer or Exhilarator.The T-120 and Nav are still an outside possibility but unlikely.They would have to kick the others butt's by a good ways which doesnt seem likely considering all the good stuff im hearing on the Exp/Exh.Really down to the try out now.Thanks again all!