Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed J

Another kayak rod question

14 posts in this topic

I want to get a spinning rod for use in my kayak.

I intend on using 1 of 2 7.5 'flippin sticks (rated to 1 oz. & 2 oz.) I already own matched with an Abu 5501.

I don't currently own a 6.5' or 7' spinner that is rated for anything higher than 5/8 or 3/4 oz.

I'm trying to decide between the following:

#1. Lami blem E-glas (rated to 1.5 or 2.5 line rating up to 20 or 30#) that I'll rap my self for about $40.

#2 Cabelas E-Glass C702MH 10 to 25 pound line 3/8 to 1 oz lure $29.

#3 Loomis LR842S 8 to 17# line 3/8 to 1.5 oz. lure $135.

#4 Loomis LR844S 10 to 20# line 3/8 to 2 ¼ lure $145.

The price is not really a consideration on any of the above choices, #1 is cheap and I've got more than enough to cover #2 & #3 with Cabelas bucks from my credit card smile.gif. And #4 is cheap & free so to speak.

I'm going to be using a Nautil 6500, Penn 550 or 4500 on the rod.

What would you pick and why?

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Since you already have a very long rod that you'll be taking on the yak, why not consider a "kayak" rod for that second rod? Kencore (California Manufacturer) makes a series of shorter rods specifically for the kayaks and one for Pangas. I personally feel that the shorter 4'6" to 5'2" length rods have a lot going for them in all bvut long cast situations. And before I hear all the "need a long rod to get around the nose of the kayak" comments, I do not feel the rods of shorter length keep you from doing that. The smaller "boat" rods can impart tremendous control over the fish. Many more pluses too. Don't get me started! I have used the Kencore Panga series and Kayak series and dig them. Kencore makes a 8-15#, 10-30# and a 20-50# kayak and/or panga rod if memory serves me here. I had a set of three custom kayak rods made for me by Wade Rods @ 5'2" :a 10#, 20# and 30# rod. You are looking at less than $150.00 for any of these and they are really fun to fish, a joy to handle and store and different enough to be interesting. My 3 cents..

Sharp1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 02-06-2002).]

Ed,

I have a Loomis LR844 that I built as a spinnig rod for the yak. I liked that it was a 3 piece so I could stow it if necessary. It's a good "all-around" kayak rod, but on the light side for casting eels and fighting 20lb+ stripers (although it could handle them). The 842 is too light for all but small lures and small fish.

I also like composites on the kayak for their durability. Some rods that I use on the yak are the Lamiglass CGBT841L and M and the Calstar GF700L and XL. These are all 7' rods, and more powerful than the Loomis 844. I've heard others that like the short rods to control fish, but I'm one of the un-sharp oneswink.gif that like to get the rod around the yak without a big stretch. You can control plenty of striper with a 7'rod and cast with it too. I build them with shorter than normal butts. This makes them easier to get across your chest when you switch sides.

For a reel, the Nautil is OK if you're only plugging. If you plan on dragging eels (if you don't you should), consider a baitrunner type spinning reel or a conventional.

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 02-07-2002).]

A lot depends upon how you'll be fishing. I tend to use smaller/lighter artificials from the yak. I toss jigs with 3" Little Fishies a lot and 1/2 ounce plugs, unweighted sluggos, etc. My lightest rod is a BP Bionic rated 1/16-3/8. I have it matched with a Tica Libra 2500 filled with 20# whiplash. This is a light outfit that I've taken bass to 29". My favorite lure rod is also a Bionic rated for 1/4-5/8 and then I've got a heavy 3/8-1.

I mostly use from 6-7 foot rods. I use what some would consider fairly light gear most of the time. Only one of the spin rods that I take out with me is rated at over 1 oz. Even though I like and use graphite a lot and do so from the yak a softer rod like an Ugly Stik is always a good choice. I find a spin reel easier for letting out line while trolling as I paddle. Its funny because I never used spinning on the west coast but use it a lot here. Probably the influence of freshwater. I have found that for slugging it out with slammer blues, I prefer mono. Its close quarter fighting and I found that I had too many break offs with the braid. None with the mono.

Thanks for the input guys,

Some thing I was not thinking about was durability. I'm thinking on going the blem route as this way I can get exactly what I'm after.

I've got the heavy (relatively speaking) conventional covered with the flippin stix, I got plenty of light spinning stuff available. All that I think I need is a heavier spinning set up.

7', short butt, and something that if it gets banged around it wont' matter. Sound like a winner?

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Ugly Stick works great and is inexpensive.Cant kill em.Let em wrap that rod around the yak.

I pefer to have a long rod to make it around the end of the yak.I use lighter than normal gear for most situations.Except fishing live bunker and herring.You still need a big stick to lob them when you need to.

I just got some steelhead rods that were cheap.8 foot long.Also depending on what type of yak you have SOT or SInK.I have noticed that the butt of the rod is less of a problem in my SOT but was in the way in my Pungo.

I think it depends on what type of fishing ya plan on doing.

I would get them all and ya cant miss

biggrin.gif

joev

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

I, like Joev, haven't had a problem with a longer rod butt in any of the SOTs I fish. Sometimes I like to cast with 2 hands.

I had in my hands some DAM rods last year that I want to test out in the yak. They were telescoping graphites and when the rep told me that they collapsed I didn't beleive him until he showed me. They could be a great yak item as storage would be simple.

As for the short butts, I don't mean 3" butts. I build my own rods and make the butts 2" shorter than I normally would, it helps. A lot of factory rods and light weight rods already have a short butt in my opinion.

Well I ended up going the blem route,

I should be receiving a:

Lamiglas "S" glass

MB845M 7' 1 .845 7 5.2 1-3 X 70.00 $17.50

With guides, reel seat, butt cap, etc. it came to just under $40.

My next question:

How short of a butt do you have? Give me some idea for reel stem to end of rod.

What I plan on doing is wrapping the handle W/ cork tape, and taping the reel on at first, the installing the reel seat (and yes I bought the kind you can do that with wink.gif ) after I find where I like it. But I'd like to get some ideas for a starting point.

So, how long is yer butt ? cwm13.gifcwm27.gif

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Ed/Oz,

You got me thinking "me too". Never built a rod though. Can you point me in the direction of source for those goodies? I sure wouldn't mind a custom Lami for 40 bucks. FWIW I use a couple different 7 ftrs in the yak, an Ugly bait stick with 15 or 25# test and a light rod. The stock grip on the Ugly has a fairly long butt which I like. It's nice to stick it in yr belly and one hand the rod so I have the other hand free to fend off things or skull with the paddle. The light rod has a short butt, mostly casting 1/4-1 oz jigs/plastics, butt is maybe 9-10 inches to the seat.

Jim

Jim,

I'm new to the kayak thing, and also new to building rods. Not new to fishin or rod repair though wink.gif.

Mudhole.com is a source for blems, that's where I ordered mine. The $40 price tag was less shipping & a few other items I have around here (using cork tape for the grip, thread & epoxy). But with that being said, I think you'll only add another 10 to 15 bux to the total.

I look at it this way, this rod will get beat up more so than my other gear (or at least I hope so wink.gif ). And if the rod doesn't look so pretty, who cares. Most of the guys are usin Ugly Stiks anyway cwm27.gif............

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Ed, thanks for the info,

I think yaks are tough on gear in general, I broke the tip off an non Ugly end of last year, and it seems like you need to overhaul reels 2 or 3 times as often. Maybe that's just cause I fish 2 or 3 times as much now with the yak but gear is in the salt a lot.

Jim