Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Sunday 11/17 Fishing

18 posts in this topic

I am thinking of hitting Milford at 530 am maybe a bit sooner to check out the meteor shower.Anybody else going to head down.Any info from down there today.

joev

I'm there. Whadaya say, 4:30? They say the peak of the showers starts at 4:00. If it's just us 3 could hit Norwich again if you want, what was up with the blitz Dougie left?

Jim

Hey Doug how about Millstone?We dont know if bunker are still in Milford?Jim I got up at 330 today would like to start at 5-530 .Extra 1/2 hr sleep is good .So what do you guys think.

Jim Doug had to boogie with at least 200 birds and splashes every where.Sucked to be him today wink.gif

I kept the fish in line for him.

joev

No info. today, but Friday was thick with bunker, as noted below. They seem to be coming and going more frequently. I've heard reports of them in Branford harbor/river as well, which might be worth a look if you're headed east from Milford. I might try to get down to Milford tomorrow early AM, but have to leave by 8.

Ok, it's Gulf street at the bridge, right?

I've never been there. Low tides seem to be good in these harbors and ponds. Hi must be ard 11;15 I think.

Jim

Just saw report on other site from last night, said bunker were still there.So it looks like a plan.Would like to meet ya Arnie.If that dont pan out could go east I guess.Or just try to yak Millstone.If kick us out its not to far to Norwich.Just a waste of time though.

joev

[This message has been edited by joev (edited 11-17-2001).]

ScottO you guys going to come down?I might have to go to Milford give it a whirl since all the SOL yak guys will be there.Should be good I hope and pray.Would like to get into something 10 plus pds. for my last trip.Last trip waaah.gif

Jim W just drive down Gulf Rd .You will see parking lot on right .We launch next to bridge so park as close as possible.

joev

Branford has a state launch up the Branford river a ways, but you can launch in a park just before the end of the road that brings you out at the mouth of the river (fishing pier). You can also launch right at the pier, but walking down some rocks (easier at low tide). I can't remember the name of the road, but follow my CT Atlas map or just nose my way along the river till I get to the harbor (west side of river/harbor). Hopefully I'll meet some of you yakkers in Milford tomorrow AM.

Joev, high tide is 12:45ish, low at 6:30ish. Is there much point being there at o dark thirty for a low tide? Last time it was the high tide we were wishing for. Thanks. Scott PS, we ar considering coming down, but want a pretty good shot at some fish. Scott

Personally, I've had the most luck at low tide. Low tide is also when some 20-30 pound bass were caught a few weeks back. From what I've seen, the bunker get massed up more at low tide and the predators can target them more easily. That said, Milford has been hit or miss after the last big blitz a week or so ago, but everything but the Thames seems hit or miss these days. I did read on another board (Reel time maybe) that they're letting boats edge in closer to the outflow at Millstone, and keeping them farther away from the inflow. I hear of tremendous numbers of albies stacked up there....Might try a run over next week sometime...

Here is the last report I could find

Fished on 11/16/2001

Report received: 11/17/01

Water Temperature: ?

Water Clarity: night time , does it matter ?

Seas: Wet,

Weather: Windy on and off early but not bad, then turning windier. Good temps to start then when winds pick up it was brrrr.

Fishing_for: blues and strippers

Boat: From the Shore

captain: Lou Albano

Report:

Hey fellas, guess what I found, bunker!!!!! Not lots but they were there, I started around 9pm and was the only person on the beach, within 25 minutes had a 8-10 pound blue. Next cast within 30 seconds, bang, but missed it. Then two people showed up, I caught another 6-8 pound blue, then two more people hit the beach , then another 6-8 pounder. The the first two hit a 32 inch striper, and a couple of blues, one 4-6 pounds the other about 2lbs. By time I left there was about 15 people on the beach , only saw one other person pull in a blue. Left at the peak of the tide, wind was up to about 20kt. Fun night overall. Glad to see the bunker followed me to the beach for one last rendezvous. Tight lines die hards !

Scotto nothing is a lock seems like a good shot though.

The legendary Joeykayaker(Kayakjoe) from NY is goig to join us.JimW,DougieV,Asabatell(Arnie) and Myself will be there.

Scott Come down when you want .You know the spot .We will give it a chance .If tits not happening we will go to Branford .I just gotta be back on the road for 11 am.The rest of us are a bunch of early birds(Jimw is getting there real early for the meteor shower).I always like to fish at first light regardless of tide.

joev

Kayakjoe

Messed up its Gulf St

Here is directions

NEW ENGLAND TRWY becomes I-95 N. 38.8 miles ( 62.5 km)

10: Take the US-1 S exit, exit number 39A. 0.2 miles ( 0.3 km)

11: Turn RIGHT onto BOSTON POST RD/US-1. 0.1 miles ( 0.1 km)

12: Stay straight to go onto CHERRY ST. 0.5 miles ( 0.8 km)

13: Turn LEFT onto GULF ST. 0.1

See ya there

joev