Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
checker

New Paddle

6 posts in this topic

OK - thinking about treating myself to a new paddle for next year. Will spend the $$$$ - any feedback out there for a quality, "lite as air", paddle. Been looking at Werner & Onno - also what type may be best - I do mostly trolling but will want some backbone for quick sprints to busting bait. Thanks

I have used a Werner from day one, and it was one of the better purchases I've made. I believe it is the "San Juan" model (?). There are a LOT of models, wide blades (mine) skinny blades, exotic shapes ...

What I like best is how LIGHT it is. You lift that paddle a thousand times every time you go out, I've NEVER felt fatigued lifting the Werner. I must confess to being ignorant about the advantage of a skinny blade. I think that's called a "Greenland" blade, and some very knowlegable paddlers tout it's advantages. I wish someone could explain the advantage to me.

I use a home made Greenland paddle on my Cobra Navigator and would never go back to a Euro blade. The width of the blade is thiner than a Eruo blade which lessons presure on the stroke. Typicaly Greenland paddlers use a higher stroke count.

Since the blade is only about 3.5 inches wide it can be gripped easer when rolling your yak. Something we don't have to do with SIK.

They are customized for each paddler. Try asking for a commercial paddle with a thinner shaft cause you have small hands.

Best of all they can be made out of a cedar 2by4 for about $20

Instructions for making one can be found at the qajaqusa.org site

I have a Lendal, which has been great. I don't fish from my boat, but I try to get as much time on the water in it as I can.

The Lendal offers mix and match combinations. They make Fiberglass and Carbon Shafts, and Plastic, Combo and Carbon Blades in different shapes. So if you really want to cover water and move, you can have a spooned big blade, if you want a mellow touring day, you can put on a smaller blade. You can mix and match buy just buying blades. It offers great options without having to buy full new paddles.

Another plus, if you do something stupid and break a shaft or paddle, you just replace the part, no custom fitting needed, no shipping back to the vendor if you're under warrantee. Just replace what you need.

Yet another plus, even with a 4 piece, which I use, there is zero slop in the joints, they have a ingenious locking system which holds everything tight. They don't get stuck together either, even if you're a slob and forget to clean out the saltwater a few times.

Their web site stinks, but ask around for them. If you're near nyc NY Kayak carries them

(Link to commercial site - DELETED)

They're not in the "Light as Air" weight range, but they're close to the Werner Camano in fiberglass.

OK - thinking about treating myself to a new paddle for next year. Will spend the $$$$ - any feedback out there for a quality, "lite as air", paddle. Been looking at Werner & Onno - also what type may be best - I do mostly trolling but will want some backbone for quick sprints to busting bait. Thanks

[ 12-23-2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

I use the Werner Camano carbon and carbon with a small diameter shaft. I just did my end of the year reviews on my website and it was included. Email me for the link. I would post it here but it semms that is a no no.