Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigLuke

What Rod Holder would you guys recommend?

14 posts in this topic

I have 2 Scotty rod holders one for fly rod the other is for my baitcaster, It's mounted in front of me between my feet in the center , But I think it makes a difference what kind of yak you have .

I don't like to reach around behind me for anything, But I think it's what you like , I fished with Marksharkey and he has his on the back of his boat and seemed to work fine for him, Have you fished this boat allot or is this a new rig? Even if you get it wrong you can just fill the holes and move it

Good luck

Big Luke What type of yak do you have?

I bought a Tarpon angler and it has a wire rod holder on the back.At first I thought it was gonna get replaced.But I found it extremly easy to get the rod in it.I even had my son pull the rod every wich way and it never came out.Its made by Tite lock .When I test drove a yak with tube style rod holders I had a hard time getting them in and out.Anyone who doubts how easy it is to get a rod out on the Tite Lock I will let ya try it.I am now gonna purchase one for my Pungo.They have them in the BassPro catalog.

Depending on what type of yak you have will determine where you could mount it.

joev

Luke , I have a Scotty mounted between my feet on my scupper . I put it where the compass mount is. I mounted mine with stainless steel nuts and bolts with a homemade metal backing plate. I have also heard of a piece of poly cutting board used as a backing plate, if I had known before I would have used the plastic, but the rod holder held up to some very hard bluefish strikes while trolling last season, west marine, boaters world and cabelas carry them. The cabela's is a scotty with the cabela's name. Good luck, Dave

Thanks guys for the input. I have an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Sit on Top. I've used it on ponds and small lakes but not in the Sound yet...but I hope to in the Spring and if I can get my act together sooner...maybe get into the Thames in Feb or March.

Luke,

I to have the Scotty between my legs on the center column.

I believe it's the only one that will accommodate a fly reel.

I also have the Sto S seat w/dual rod tubes on the back but I have yet to use them.

It's an awkward place to be reaching for.

I like the flush mounts.

I might add one of those.

On a big yak like a Malibu you have a lot of options. It all comes down to which you like the most. Yesterday I saw a rod holder from Berkley that has a quick release. It looks like it will be another choice. Its the least expensive one I've seen also with a retail of only $15.

FWIW,

I met a guy who uses the Titelok wire rod holder that Joev has on his new yacht with a flyrod. He squeezed the prongs together a little so that rod will fit thru but not grip. The little 2-3 inch butt fits into the bottom loop. He slips the rod between the prongs and pushes it up to fit the butt in the loop. Will absolutely not come out until he moves rod back up to free butt and then back to slip rod thru prongs. Just wanted to mention an alternative to Scotty, the Titelok seem extremely durable and lightweight.

Jim

I have an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Sit on Top.

Now that you say that you have THAT kayak, I have to add that Rhyno fishes a MII also and he, of course, has a Ryhno Bar across the deck of his which holds the rods right where you can see them, plus the sonar too.

Here is a link to his site which has nice pics! http://www.rhynobar.net/products.shtml

The ONLY thing that may be a detractor from using his mountinmg bar is the possibility of getting conked in the head/body with it in a bailout/ejection in the surf zone...

It is a professional mounting system for sure, especially for your particular kayak Big Luke.Gives one lots of options.

Have used a titelock wire type rod holder for last two seasons mounted on the center console. When loaded on axis it works splendidly, with quick rod exit a breeze. But when loaded laterally, it tends to deform and twist. This usually occurs when I'm running sideways to the current and bouncing clams off the botttom and I get snagged. The rod holder gets pretzled. So I'm going to go to the titelok tube type holder next season. I imgaine that rod exit will be a little less speedy but the wire type's deformation problem will go away.