Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Local66

Spring in E. Central Florida.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Get that kinky muddler in some striper waters immediately!!!

Believe it or not, we have both landlocked and migratory stripers in Florida. I caught a 35" bluefish on Friday, along with half a dozen of his little brothers. And there's a school of bluefin that's spotted every year near Matinellas shoal (technically Bahamian waters, but only about 80 miles from where I'm sitting).

Believe it or not, we have both landlocked and migratory stripers in Florida. I caught a 35" bluefish on Friday, along with half a dozen of his little brothers. And there's a school of bluefin that's spotted every year near Matinellas shoal (technically Bahamian waters, but only about 80 miles from where I'm sitting).

80 miles to bluefin ! What u waiting for hop in a 21 ft contender .

If I end up moving down there we will have fun!

80 miles to bluefin ! What u waiting for hop in a 21 ft contender .

If I end up moving down there we will have fun!

A 21' would still be kinda small for that run. My buddy Bob runs a 38' with three 350's and he only makes that run a few times a year. Best wahoo fishing on the planet, but even when the gas gets split 4 ways it's still a bit rich for my blood. How about tarpon Joe? There's tons of them, they fight like demons and I can promise you a 120lb on foot.

Local, how well do flies like the pink kinky hold up to Cobia? On average, how many fish (Cobia) will a fly like that support? Assuming it's not lost of course! BTW- I think that's a well proportioned fly you've got there, excellent lines too. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks sax. Depends on the fish, and if you flatten your barbs. Cobia have small denticles, along with massive pharangeal crushers located in the back of their throat. Where you hook the fish, and the method of extraction will determine how quick your fly gets destroyed. With flat barbs I can typically get 3 or 4 if I have to, but I like fresh hooks, so I'll usually tie on a fresh one after a decent fish. The over-sized eyes add a bit of durability to the fly, along with a liberal gob of fletching cement to hold them in place.

Nice flies, Local. M Sax -- I've had multiple big roosters on a single fly -- maybe 3-5. Roosters don't have teeth or crushers, but they fight long and hard. With stripers, the Kinky Muddlers' heads may get a little misshapen, but they still work. When I glue on eyes, I cover and surround them with Liquid Fusion (or some other flexible glue), which makes the head very durable. All told, it's a pretty durable fly, and I don't even bother with any head cement or glue between steps.

A 21' would still be kinda small for that run. My buddy Bob runs a 38' with three 350's and he only makes that run a few times a year. Best wahoo fishing on the planet, but even when the gas gets split 4 ways it's still a bit rich for my blood. How about tarpon Joe? There's tons of them, they fight like demons and I can promise you a 120lb on foot.

We gotta talk ! I am trying to plan now for a week or 2 maybe 1 week in Melbourne and a week at my fathers place on the west coast. When is prime poon season on the east coast?

It takes a bait run to bring them inside. Pogies typically move in around the first week in may. Once you get a taste for targeting them on foot, you'll lose all interest in boat fishing.