Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverRaider

Gettysburg: Who's been

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

this is the 150th anniversary, so it's gonna be a beeeg deal there from July 1- 3. if it was anything like Antietam last year,

i would imagine the preparations are going to be happening well into June.

you can do a tour in your own vehicle with a map and a route to follow with audio stops for background info at designated

areas. you can hook up with a ranger for a tour (some of the retired volunteer guides are excellent) and there's also the option

to do a bridle tour on horseback. (which i haven't done but thought would be cool)

as was stated previously, it will help quite a bit to do some research into the history of the event to give you a better handle on

how things transpired and decide what you'd like to concentrate on.

downtown G-burg is a nice place to stroll, shop and grab something to eat for a break from the action.

this is the 150th anniversary, so it's gonna be a beeeg deal there from July 1- 3. if it was anything like Antietam last year,

i would imagine the preparations are going to be happening well into June.

you can do a tour in your own vehicle with a map and a route to follow with audio stops for background info at designated

areas. you can hook up with a ranger for a tour (some of the retired volunteer guides are excellent) and there's also the option

to do a bridle tour on horseback. (which i haven't done but thought would be cool)

as was stated previously, it will help quite a bit to do some research into the history of the event to give you a better handle on

how things transpired and decide what you'd like to concentrate on.

downtown G-burg is a nice place to stroll, shop and grab something to eat for a break from the action.

I want to do some touring on Horseback... wife is trying to nix that idea but I'm going to make her

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRaider View Post

I want to do some touring on Horseback... wife is trying to nix that idea but I'm going to make her

You could honor Jeb Stuart by showing up a day late with a wagon full of shoes.

Go before it gets too hot, like early June the 1st or 2nd . Two-three days is plenty. One of the hottest places I've ever been, middle of July, brutal. Inner Harbor is also worth a visit for a day as well as Antietam if your a Civil War buff. You can also spend a day in the Amish country, Lancaster vicinty, about an hour from Gettysburg. Interesting people and worth a day. Other options if you want to drive are Niagara Falls, Montreal, Maine, Nova Scotia, all within a days drive.

We used to take the kids to places like this, now we like to hop on a cruise ship,best value I've found for the $$$. Next trip June 9 to Bermuda from NYC, and somehow my twin sons age 21 found a way to tag along, of course I won't see them much, but I will get their bar tab.:shock:

Do the town Ghost Tour at night, well worth it. They'll point out things downtown that you wouldn't otherwise hear about, bullet holes in buildings, places where snipers hid, lots of little tidbits.

Make sure you get out and walk the route of Pickett's charge. Think of what it would have been like to cover that ground and have people shooting at you the whole time.

It's very moving.

Did it last spring. The wife and I camped at a state Park about 1/2 hr down the road. We did a 2 hr horseback tour. The guide was excellent, narrated as we went. I think he did a really good job. Basicly he took us in from the confederate side acroos to the union side pointing out where the mistakes were made and explaining how it happened.

I don't know if they do a re-enactment of the artillery barage before the charge, but I would think that would be awesome. It seems as though the ground would shake, give you the feeling of the fear both sides must of felt knowing what was to come when it ceased. Poor guys in those wool uniforms in that heat.

areas.

Highly recommend this. The CDs, booklet and map are pricey, but worth it. I have a nice sound system in the vehicle- sitting there looking over the landscape with the cannon fusillade blasting through the sub-woofers, Battle Hymn of the Republic... awesome, better than any movie.

Can easily spend six to eight hours (taking your time) doing the whole tour.