Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcaster1

What Reel Would You Use

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I've asked a version of tis question before but, I think I need to re-phrase it-

What spinning reel would you recommend to use on a GSB1201L that has one foot cut off from the butt? The rod would be used almost exclusively for throwing eels. I would appreciate responses from those who have experience with the blank modified this way.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfcaster1 View Post

I've asked a version of tis question before but, I think I need to re-phrase it-

What spinning reel would you recommend to use on a GSB1201L that has one foot cut off from the butt? The rod would be used almost exclusively for throwing eels. I would appreciate responses from those who have experience with the blank modified this way.

Thanks!

van staal vs200 or 150 would be pretty good for it.

I second the notion of the Shimano Stradic (correct spelling).  One reason you may not be getting many responses in your thread is from forum burn out on your question.  There have been several lengthy, well though out threads on this very topic - what reel to use in the surf - quite recently.  Try a search.  But whatever you do, don't get snookered into buying a VS.  biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Easy fellas, just having some fun...

Thanks for everyone's advice. I appreciate it. From time to time we read that people stop posting on SOL because of the type of responses they get: rude, scoffing, patronizing, slamming, childish or from a self-proclaimed "expert" flexing his "keyboard muscles". Usually I would ignore this type of crap. I'm too old for it. But, this one annoyed me - I noticed in my thread that one poster corrected another's spelling and the same poster advised me that I was not getting many responses to my question. 'And that the question had been answered several times recently. No it has not. I had a specific reason for bringing up the subject of this thread. It deals with a blank that has been modified for a particular purpose.

All I can say is, to SOL Poster mumichog, if you notice that I have started another thread on any topic- please do not respond. Thanks again.

My post fell under your list of responses that are,  "rude, scoffing, patronizing, slamming, childish or from a self-proclaimed "expert" flexing his "keyboard muscles"" ?

Wow.

Because there have been so many threads with very similar titles - what reel should I use  - I offered the idea of possible forum burnout as a gesture to help you out, and the correct spelling of the Stradic to make sure you could look it up easily if you weren't familiar with it.  Incredible that it instead angered you.

You can count on me not responding to your threads, I don't need the hassle.  Good luck.

Damn gearheads, any quality reel will do.  I suggest that there is a new forum specifically for rod/ reel requests so It doesn't clog up the main forum that should be reserved for FISHING posts. 

I have the exact rod you are asking about paired with a VS200. My favorite (non-canal) setup for areas I frequent. Very versatile. I throw eels, swimmers, metal lips, pencils and rigged slug-go with it. My PB came on it as well, so it holds a special place in the lineup :)

It is also swam with/reeled underwater 7 out of 10 trips...hence the VS.