Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishbites

St. Croix 9ft. legend or 9'6" St Croix Avid

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I am looking for a new rod and was wondering between the legend or the avid which would be you guys vote. I would be using it to fish Indian river inlet and some of the beach primarily lures. Please feel free to give any input thanks everyone.

Depends what 9 Legend your talking about. They are completely different in their action. Regardless of which one you choose if you plan to go with a Legend and expect all the performance that rod can put out i would not fish anything above 30 pound braid and 20 is even better.

That is based on extensive test by yours truly over a two year period where i tried not only many different lines but also reels . The rods guide sizes and layout are the reason.

Remember i am talking absolute peek performance not everyday performance , you can use heavier lines but the rod will be a shadow of what it's really capable of.

If you want to fish heavier lines the Avid surf is the better rod.

"]I vote for the 9ft Legend. The 9'6" Avid is a MH 2-6oz rod and its on the stiff side.[/b] Maybe a tad too much rod for a river.

Try a 9 foot 1-4 oz Legend, very stiff fast action . The 9 3/4 - 4 oz Legend is more popular for plugging.

Thanks everyone I think I'm going to go with the legend rod the 9ft 1-4 oz. rod sound like just what I want.

Some complain about the long butt length on the 8 and 9 footers so definitely check that out to see if it's comfortable. If you want more info on that send a pm to Yogiiboy, he has the 9 footer and has a lot of experience with it. Good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnnashman View Post

Depends what 9 Legend your talking about. They are completely different in their action. Regardless of which one you choose if you plan to go with a Legend and expect all the performance that rod can put out i would not fish anything above 30 pound braid and 20 is even better.

That is based on extensive test by yours truly over a two year period where i tried not only many different lines but also reels . The rods guide sizes and layout are the reason.

Remember i am talking absolute peek performance not everyday performance , you can use heavier lines but the rod will be a shadow of what it's really capable of.

If you want to fish heavier lines the Avid surf is the better rod.

Curious ,what reel are you using to throw the 20lb line? Also, would you say the mojo does better with heavier lines as the avid does?

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytyingguy1 View Post

The Avid also has a life time warranty if your not aware!

Flyguy, love St. Croix but they have pulled one over on us in this regard. While the reg avids are lifetime, the avid surf series is 5 years

Curious ,what reel are you using to throw the 20lb line? Also, would you say the mojo does better with heavier lines as the avid does?

Flyguy, love St. Croix but they have pulled one over on us in this regard. While the reg avids are lifetime, the avid surf series is 5 years

St. Croix's website states the Avid Surf has a "Lifetime limited warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service", same as the Legend Surf.

The Avid surf is better for heavier lines than the Mojo.

I have used lighter lines on many reels in the past, and since i have repaired reels for years back when i lived in Jersey , i continued once i moved down here (although i don't charge for labor anymore, just parts) for the neighborhood youngsters and retirees, i have had the chance to try out all types of models. I am not testing anymore as i have found the models i like and use these days . Here is two reels wrapped with 10 pound 832

The new Avid surfs have a Lifetime warranty , the old Avid surfs had a five year warranty so nothing is being pulled on you.

Nash before I posted the Life Time Warranty I checked the St Croix Web- Site ( don't want to post the wrong information ) they state " Life time on the Avid Surf Series.

Nash before I posted the Life Time Warranty I checked the St Croix Web- Site ( don't want to post the wrong information ) they state " Life time on the Avid Surf Series.

Good, the correct information is the new Avid surfs have a lifetime warranty and the old Avid surfs(the discontinued years ago ones ) have a five year warranty. All other Avid models are lifetime like the freshwater ones.

Try a 9 foot 1-4 oz Legend, very stiff fast action . The 9 3/4 - 4 oz Legend is more popular for plugging.

Unless you're using 1.5 - 2.5 oz. tins ........ that rod is exceptional with metal in that range !!!