Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Powersn96

SS darter action

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I went out to a local inlet today to test out a few darters that I picked up over the winter months. I have never really gotten into them before and this was my first time comparing a few of them side by side. I tried out a 2oz tattoo's, a 3oz LIFishinVT, and a superstrike. When I first arrived the current was almost non-existent. I was able to get the two wooden darters to dig in and sweep using a moderate retrieve and could feel them thrum through the rod. The super strike seemed to come straight in with no action. As the current picked up I switched back and forth between the 3 and had similar results. The LIFVT and Tattoo swam more aggressively but the superstrike did not. It did move a few inches side to side occasionally (a few times per retrieve) but not as consistently or aggressively as the others. There was also no feedback felt through the rod. If I sped the retrieve it would dive deeper but the action stayed the same. Is this subtle action normal for an SS darter? I know that they are great fish catchers and would like to be sure that Im fishing them properly. I did a search on darters and found a lot of great info but nothing that answered this specifically. I'm using two cut 4/0 4x VMCs if that helps any.. Thanks! Nick

You will find by comparison the face on the tattoo and LI FISH is wider than the SS. SS is one of the most narrow if not the most narrow darters out there. Next time as you retrieve give it a twitch and see what it does. I like to retrieve with twitches to make it move. Or else you're right it's pretty 'flat' as it comes in and doesn't move a great amount.

There been much to said about the topic of the tail hook of the Superstrike and searching will surely give you some more color on the topic.

On that rear hook I personally have gone back to trebles from dressed siwash and I crush the barbs especially if the boo fish are around ; maybe try a 3/0 on the arse.

Its never going to throb like a tattoo or LI Fish in VT but you might get a little more out of it.

just my .02

Hi all,

I went out to a local inlet today to test out a few darters that I picked up over the winter months. I have never really gotten into them before and this was my first time comparing a few of them side by side. I tried out a 2oz tattoo's, a 3oz LIFishinVT, and a superstrike. When I first arrived the current was almost non-existent. I was able to get the two wooden darters to dig in and sweep using a moderate retrieve and could feel them thrum through the rod. The super strike seemed to come straight in with no action. As the current picked up I switched back and forth between the 3 and had similar results. The LIFVT and Tattoo swam more aggressively but the superstrike did not. It did move a few inches side to side occasionally (a few times per retrieve) but not as consistently or aggressively as the others. There was also no feedback felt through the rod. If I sped the retrieve it would dive deeper but the action stayed the same. Is this subtle action normal for an SS darter? I know that they are great fish catchers and would like to be sure that Im fishing them properly. I did a search on darters and found a lot of great info but nothing that answered this specifically. I'm using two cut 4/0 4x VMCs if that helps any.. Thanks! Nick

same here, i bought the new colored darter (cloud) and its like a manequin. i will try to tune it, it might be the hardware. splits are huge thats what i notice.

I only use SS darters in fast heavy currents. Thats when I really feel the big side to side dart it makes.

Anything less than fast or heavy I'll use a wide body darter.

Or include  a few quick cranks on the handle then give it short twitches to incite queriosity in water without a lot of movement ive caught plenty of fish using this method

I have found that fishing SS darters real slow in inlet currentis key to opening its fish catching qualities.After the cast is made maintain contact with the plug and give it a short jerk to get in down In the current, then reel slowly feeling the darter moving around. I used to think the SS didn't have much action until I started doing the aforementioned and catching a lot of fish on it. The SS darter is a remarkable lure in current.

Btw, I have found that a 4/0 cut ( or HD split) VMC 4x treble on the belly and a 3/0 cut (or HD split) VMC treble on the tail to be a great set up. I have also found SS facebook special darters that have a 4/0VMC with HD split on the belly and a SS Mustads 6/0 dressed Siwash onthetail to be a great set up too for the darter.

You need to evaluate not only the amount of movement but its overall "look"--for lack of a better word. Many plugs such as metal lips do not look at ll like a swimming fish yet produce. SS darters have a more subtle motion but do move as described in other reponses--that is, they move more in moving water and also when twitched. But a subtle action is more life like and the twiching does not make the plug wiggle but rather to dart--like afish taking evasive action. Lastly I think they can be effective ona slow retrieve as stated but they also can be very effective on a medium,quicker retreive. Just my 2 cents.

I have found that fishing SS darters real slow in inlet currentis key to opening its fish catching qualities.After the cast is made maintain contact with the plug and give it a short jerk to get in down In the current, then reel slowly feeling the darter moving around. I used to think the SS didn't have much action until I started doing the aforementioned and catching a lot of fish on it. The SS darter is a remarkable lure in current.

Btw, I have found that a 4/0 cut ( or HD split) VMC 4x treble on the belly and a 3/0 cut (or HD split) VMC treble on the tail to be a great set up. I have also found SS facebook special darters that have a 4/0VMC with HD split on the belly and a SS Mustads 6/0 dressed Siwash onthetail to be a great set up too for the darter.

The non action is probably why it catches. A cruising fish, cruises, pretty gracefully. Sometimes fish don't want throbbing plugs that have all the crazy action that attracts fisherman. Sometimes it is, on the other hand exactly what fish what fish want.

If you have no faith in them send them to me and I will send u pics of your plugs with fish attached to them. SS darters are a must especially in a good current. Just remember all s&s are designed to swim alike where as wood is not as consistant

Most darters need at least a few yards of "scope" (line out) to work properly, so by the time the plug is close enough for you to see it, the line is too short and you can't see it do its thing. Bring a friend next time and watch the action from a different perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich5294p View Post

If you have no faith in them send them to me and I will send u pics of your plugs with fish attached to them. SS darters are a must especially in a good current. Just remember all s&s are designed to swim alike where as wood is not as consistant

icon14.gif

I love SS products, just because of their 'out of package' consistency.  

Most darters need at least a few yards of "scope" (line out) to work properly, so by the time the plug is close enough for you to see it, the line is too short and you can't see it do its thing. Bring a friend next time and watch the action from a different perspective.

Was thinking the same thing. A bit of belly in the line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfin View Post

Was thinking the same thing. A bit of belly in the line.

In still water, I like using a gibb's. It has nice darting action with a steady retreive. Problem is I beat them up pretty good because of my rocky shores. When I get the in close to the beach, they tend to plow into the gravel underneath them no matter how gentle I try to be. The front of my darters look like they got into a fight and lost.

I do agree they dont produce much action unless fished in a strong current, but something they do produce is fish! I love ss darters and catch most of my fish with plugs using them. Consider the needlefish, no aaction at all and they produce big time. Gain confidence in a ss darter and you will have one of the best fish catching lures ever.