Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Best Sealant for kayaks?

11 posts in this topic

Jon

I've been real happy with the Goop sealant. I've used it on both my yaks when I installed rod holders, the stuff is great! Don't waste the x-tra cash on the marine version, the household will do just great.

Bob

I think you're looking for 3M's 5200 sealant. Comes in a white and black. Santiago II swears by it... or is that at it. I'm pretty sure thats the one. ScottO

Jon, I used regular clear silicone around the holes and bolts for my scotty rod holder, after a year of heavy use it is holding up well. I don't know much about another product called aquaseal but have heard it mentioned numerous times on the other west coast yaking site. Hull material makes a difference, no problem with silicone on polyethylene yet. Dave

Jon

Good quality Silicone for bolt heads or something you want to remove. 3M 5200 for something you want to stay put, it's an adhesive sealant. Comes in slow or fast setting versions and in caulk tubes. They use it to glue foam bulkheads in plastic or fiberglass yaks and it stays put.

You can peel off silicone but the 5200 stuff can be a mess so be neat or use masking tape.

Neither one is strong if gap is large, like more than 3/16 or 1/4 inch

Jim

Jon, As You realize sealing under the flange of a rod holder You can use anything. But sealing an exposed hole or a rivet is best done with Aquaseal. We sell it at the shop but You can get it at any surf or dive shop. Unlike pl 5200 it is clear. I have never tested it on a transducer so be carefull using it in that application until talking to someone who has.

Barrell www.rbbsurf.com

Another thought, again Santiago II mentioned this, that a gasket of thin neoprene or rubber will take the place of the sealant. Quite honestly I never sealed any of my holes and have never had a leakage problem. They're all above the water line. Haven't installed any new hatches though. Yes the 5200 is a messy adhesive/sealant. Scott

Guys, thanks all. The 5200 is the one that supposedly is permanent. I've used aquaseal and goop and never had a problem My goop tube burst so before I got a tube I figured that I'd check and it would be good for people new to the board to see.

barrell - I've got a few tubes of aquaseal. I always keep it around. I use it for a variety of things.

Thanks all.