Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
killemngrillem

help with st croix legend 11' 3-8 oz vs 10' 6" 2-6 oz

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey, I already have a 10' 1-4 oz mojo which I like for jigging but I am looking for a bigger rod better for heavier plugs 3-5oz mainly and maybe some eeling and light bait here and there. I know the 11 is overrated and more of a 2-6 but was wondering which one of these is more versatile for lighter weight, heavier weight or both. I am also unsure if the faster 10'6" or more moderate 11' will be better for the type of fishing I plan to do with this rod. I fish mtk and both shores of li and wondering which one I will enjoy better, really looking for more versatility before I invest this kind of money, I will also be pairing it up w a zeebaas zx25 unless anyone suggests I go smaller or larger. Thanks for your help

Hey, I already have a 10' 1-4 oz mojo which I like for jigging but I am looking for a bigger rod better for heavier plugs 3-5oz mainly and maybe some eeling and light bait here and there. I know the 11 is overrated and more of a 2-6 but was wondering which one of these is more versatile for lighter weight, heavier weight or both. I am also unsure if the faster 10'6" or more moderate 11' will be better for the type of fishing I plan to do with this rod. I fish mtk and both shores of li and wondering which one I will enjoy better, really looking for more versatility before I invest this kind of money, I will also be pairing it up w a zeebaas zx25 unless anyone suggests I go smaller or larger. Thanks for your help

Seems like you already know the rods your considering pretty well , the 11 foot Legend is more moderate and is a bit overrated , a great long distance plugging rod as long as you don't over due it with the line .

The 10'6 is faster which i like and is very versatile , can throw light and heavier very well. I don't like reels like Z's and VS's on Legends because their oscillation and casting properties don't suit these rods very well, especially if heavy line is being used. It's just a bad combination.

The best performing reels in regards to the way Legends are layed out have worm drive oscillation and a spool diameter between 56- 62mm , other reels work but if your looking for absolute top performance with these particular rods i would stick to the above.

If you want a nice rod with a lifetime warranty the new Avid surfs will handle heavier line far better than the Legends.

Think a more moderate rod like the 11 is better suited at the rocky terrain of Mtk. But then again, I also have the 10'6" like nash. It does cover a wide range. Even below its ratings. Give these rods a wiggle at a bait shop and see which one suits you.

Seems like you already know the rods your considering pretty well , the 11 foot Legend is more moderate and is a bit overrated , a great long distance plugging rod as long as you don't over due it with the line .

The 10'6 is faster which i like and is very versatile , can throw light and heavier very well. I don't like reels like Z's and VS's on Legends because their oscillation and casting properties don't suit these rods very well, especially if heavy line is being used. It's just a bad combination.

The best performing reels in regards to the way Legends are layed out have worm drive oscillation and a spool diameter between 56- 62mm , other reels work but if your looking for absolute top performance with these particular rods i would stick to the above.

If you want a nice rod with a lifetime warranty the new Avid surfs will handle heavier line far better than the Legends.

Wow, great info!! Thanks for the help, definately have to get my hands on the rods. Regarding the reels which is the best one or several different top of the line reels preferably made in Usa or at least not China that I can dunk that you mention have worm drive oscillation vs whatever the z and v 's, if you could inform me what drive they have. I do not know what this means so if you could tell it to me like a 5 year old ill be good to go lil. I am a jarhead and new to all the technical terms of fishing but love learning this because it seperates the weekend warrior from the fisherman. Thanks a lot for your help yall are very knowledgeable!

Wow, great info!! Thanks for the help, definately have to get my hands on the rods. Regarding the reels which is the best one or several different top of the line reels preferably made in Usa or at least not China that I can dunk that you mention have worm drive oscillation vs whatever the z and v 's, if you could inform me what drive they have. I do not know what this means so if you could tell it to me like a 5 year old ill be good to go lil. I am a jarhead and new to all the technical terms of fishing but love learning this because it seperates the weekend warrior from the fisherman. Thanks a lot for your help yall are very knowledgeable!

OK, so i see you already have a ZB, sorry i missed that , no sweat , lots of guys use ZB's on Legends . Whether you choose the 10'6 2-6 or the 11 3-8 rod is really up to you, they both have a very similar range because the 3- 8 is really closer to a 2 - 5 rod but it's softer than the 2-6 . Both rods are very versatile it just depends if you like a little slower( let the rod do the work) or faster type action.

Since you already have a ZB it's only natural to want to put that reel on this new rod . We can certainly work around that by using a lighter more supple line, (don't worry you won't have any issues with landing fish) the lines i recommend are incredibly strong but will also allow your setup to perform on a high level.

With the way these rods are laid out , you have two choices for best performance. Either you use a reel with a spool diameter between what i previously stated (or as close as possible) or you go lighter with the line if you have a reel exceeding the above dimensions .

Both options work, of course if you have a reel fitting the above descriptions and also use lighter line then you really have a serious performer.

Hope this helps

I have a ZB25 also. It's loaded with 30lbs Sufix 832 Ghost. Casts pretty good on the Legend. Probably not as good as nash with his experiences with 10 and 20lbs braid.

I have a ZB25 also. It's loaded with 30lbs Sufix 832 Ghost. Casts pretty good on the Legend. Probably not as good as nash with his experiences with 10 and 20lbs braid.

You want to cast out of site (no joke) spool up 10 or 20 on a Sustain or or any other worm drive reel with a 56-62 mm spool lip.

I own both, between the two, get the 11'. It's a no brainer...

How is this a no brainer, i mean really, you don't even know what kind of action the guy prefers . It may be a no brainer for you but that 11 is too dang moderate for my taste , got to compare it to my 10'6 2- 6 last year in Myrtle beach.

Recommendations of rods where you don't know what the guys preferences are is the kind of advice that people get real angry at because it's based on the advice givers preferences and not the potential buyers. That's a pretty costly mistake

OK, so i see you already have a ZB, sorry i missed that , no sweat , lots of guys use ZB's on Legends . Whether you choose the 10'6 2-6 or the 11 3-8 rod is really up to you, they both have a very similar range because the 3- 8 is really closer to a 2 - 5 rod but it's softer than the 2-6 . Both rods are very versatile it just depends if you like a little slower( let the rod do the work) or faster type action.

Since you already have a ZB it's only natural to want to put that reel on this new rod . We can certainly work around that by using a lighter more supple line, (don't worry you won't have any issues with landing fish) the lines i recommend are incredibly strong but will also allow your setup to perform on a high level.

With the way these rods are laid out , you have two choices for best performance. Either you use a reel with a spool diameter between what i previously stated (or as close as possible) or you go lighter with the line if you have a reel exceeding the above dimensions .

Both options work, of course if you have a reel fitting the above descriptions and also use lighter line then you really have a serious performer.

Hope this helps

It definatly helps really starting to understand ..what type of lines do you suggest for the zb 25 . Lets see the zb 25 is 63.5 mm and the zb 22 is 57.15 so the 22 is the more optimal choice. Does 1.5 mm really make a huge difference in performance. I do know that zb u can change spools for like 300 bucks but do you know if you can go to a 22 on a 25zb and is it really worth the 3 franklin's? If not what type of line do you suggest w the zb25 and how much performance is lost?

You want to cast out of site (no joke) spool up 10 or 20 on a Sustain or or any other worm drive reel with a 56-62 mm spool lip.

How is this a no brainer, i mean really, you don't even know what kind of action the guy prefers . It may be a no brainer for you but that 11 is too dang moderate for my taste , got to compare it to my 10'6 2- 6 last year in Myrtle beach.

Recommendations of rods where you don't know what the guys preferences are is the kind of advice that people get real angry at because it's based on the advice givers preferences and not the potential buyers. That's a pretty costly mistake

Have 20lbs 832 on a newly purchased SSV4500. I'll report back to you.

As for what I prefer more I'm not exactly quite sure I do have the 10' mojo which is the pool cue and am used to casting that and I think the fast action its sweet but was thinking of trying a more moderate where I let the rod do the work for a change and from what everyone was saying about the 10'6 3/4-4 I felt I was missing out. Maybe I should get moderate and just practice with it. I am new to fishing but I know I love it

It definatly helps really starting to understand ..what type of lines do you suggest for the zb 25 . Lets see the zb 25 is 63.5 mm and the zb 22 is 57.15 so the 22 is the more optimal choice. Does 1.5 mm really make a huge difference in performance. I do know that zb u can change spools for like 300 bucks but do you know if you can go to a 22 on a 25zb and is it really worth the 3 franklin's? If not what type of line do you suggest w the zb25 and how much performance is lost?

No , those differences don't make much of a difference at all. What makes the most difference is the way the reels wrap line and what line you intend to use. I don't know if you saw Alan Hawks explanation of how 1:1 ratio oscillation reels compare to 2:1 reels in regards to casting distances . . When it talks about 2:1 oscillation reels, they are the worm drive reels i was talking about. The below link will explain it in detail

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/889393/why-is-the-torque-not-popular It's on the beginning of page 14

Yes Nash I saw the Alan hawk explaining this on n his website i was trying to catch on but from what I understand the 1:1 wraps in an x fashion and creates more friction and when casted becomes looser on the spool due to the way its wrap as opposed to the up 2:1 where it wraps traditionally in dummy terms if I am correct, man I this is crazy I never knew there was so much to fishing lol