Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Renegade6

Dooooosh

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Wow $2000 per pound !!!!!!!!

PORTLAND, Maine —Maine's Marine Patrol has cited a New Hampshire man for having tens of thousands of dollars' worth of baby eels without a license in what's being called the biggest case of illegal eel possession in the history of the fishery.

Officials said Monday that 41-year-old Phillip Parker, of Candia, N.H., was apprehended in Newport after an investigation revealed he planned to sell 41 pounds of eels, known as elvers. Fishermen have been getting about $2,000 per pound for their catch this season.

Marine Resources Commissioner Patrick Keliher said Parker faces up to a $2,000 fine if guilty. He said a bill now before the Legislature would make illegal possession of elvers a criminal offense, rather than a civil violation, to provide an added deterrent.

Quote:

. Fishermen have been getting about $2,000 per pound for their catch this season.

Marine Resources Commissioner Patrick Keliher said Parker faces up to a $2,000 fine if guilty. He said a bill now before the Legislature would make illegal possession of elvers a criminal offense, rather than a civil violation, to provide an added deterrent.

$2,000 fine, THAT'S IT? Hope they took the other 40 lbs away from him otherwise I'd say he's STILL making out pretty well. I'm all for making it a criminal offense, only way they put an end to it. If they didn't catch the guy til after the fact, 41 lbs @ $2,000/lb is somewhere in the neighborhood of $82,000 which would make a measly $2,000 fine almost seem worth it to him I'd imagine....add a criminal offense (hopefully a felony) and maybe guys start thinking twice.

Same problem with striped bass poaching in the mid-Atlantic. The fine is a minor slap on the wrist compared to the profits, and the enforcement is so light, you know they get away with it hundreds of times for every time they get caught. IMO, there should be much steeper fines, maybe some jail time, and seizure of all property involved - boats, trucks, nets, etc.

We better hope the Japanese dont start eating Striped Bass   along with there Whale Meat,Tuna,Eels and anything else that swims or walks the earth.Because the greedy people will come out of the wood work to sell it  to these  A-- Holes. And then these same peple  call themselves commerical fisherman YEA RIGHT what a joke.The the Japanese will not be happy untill there is nothing left.And as long as there is Greedy people that will go out and catch it and sell it to them.This is never going to stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher View Post

The state sold the Elvers and are holding on to the money till after the trial. they also seized his truck, trailor and all his gear.

I hope this is true.

We better hope the Japanese dont start eating Striped Bass   along with there Whale Meat,Tuna,Eels and anything else that swims or walks the earth.Because the greedy people will come out of the wood work to sell it  to these  A-- Holes. And then these same peple  call themselves commerical fisherman YEA RIGHT what a joke.The the Japanese will not be happy untill there is nothing left.And as long as there is Greedy people that will go out and catch it and sell it to them.This is never going to stop.

So if you catch something for profit and it ends up on a plate in Japan you are a greedy a-hole and not to be considered a commercial fisherman? That may be the most ignorant comment I've seen on here in quite some time. How do you you feel about commercial tuna fishing, Doodle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnotGuilty View Post

So if you catch something for profit and it ends up on a plate in Japan you are a greedy a-hole and not to be considered a commercial fisherman? That may be the most ignorant comment I've seen on here in quite some time. How do you you feel about commercial tuna fishing, Doodle?

No Im not against commerical tuna fishing.But Im against the ones that go out and spot with a plane ,then go out with harpoons to kill them All so they can turn around and sell them to the Japanese for $36 a pound.  Which all boils down to pure GREED  Do you think if people were getting $5 a pound for elver eels they be fishing for them I dont think so.But being Japan will pay $2100 a pound These so called fisherman come out of the woodwork for a commerical permit to fish for them  And Im against any commerical fishing for Striped Bass in any State And if it keeps up you will see the day that you say to yourself well the Striped Bass use to come up here. Striped bass need to be classfied as a game fish before its to late,if restaurants want Striped Bass let them buy the farmed raised All you need to do is look in the past ,how many Alantic Salmon do you see in the rivers now.  I have nothing against commerical fishing as long it is done legally My point is if Japan was paying $36 a pound for Striped Bass what do you think the outcome would be.

I understand that they are mostly just regular guys trying to make a living, but they are destroying a valuable natural resource in the process. Same thing as has happened to ground fish and tuna.

I don't think the fishermen are bad people or anything, except for ones such as mentioned in this article who blatantly break the rules, but good or bad, they are destroying the resource with the end result that it won't be there for their children and grandchildren to enjoy.

Blame whoever you want, the fishermen or the government agencies that don't have the political courage to make rules strict enough to protect the resource, but the end result is the same story we keep seeing repeated again and again with different fisheries.

I understand that they are mostly just regular guys trying to make a living, but they are destroying a valuable natural resource in the process. Same thing as has happened to ground fish and tuna.

I don't think the fishermen are bad people or anything, except for ones such as mentioned in this article who blatantly break the rules, but good or bad, they are destroying the resource with the end result that it won't be there for their children and grandchildren to enjoy.

Blame whoever you want, the fishermen or the government agencies that don't have the political courage to make rules strict enough to protect the resource, but the end result is the same story we keep seeing repeated again and again with different fisheries.

Sorry not a regular guy trying to make a living. He is a poacher plain and simple.

No Im not against commerical tuna fishing.But Im against the ones that go out and spot with a plane ,then go out with harpoons to kill them All so they can turn around and sell them to the Japanese for $36 a pound.  Which all boils down to pure GREED  Do you think if people were getting $5 a pound for elver eels they be fishing for them I dont think so.But being Japan will pay $2100 a pound These so called fisherman come out of the woodwork for a commerical permit to fish for them  And Im against any commerical fishing for Striped Bass in any State And if it keeps up you will see the day that you say to yourself well the Striped Bass use to come up here. Striped bass need to be classfied as a game fish before its to late,if restaurants want Striped Bass let them buy the farmed raised All you need to do is look in the past ,how many Alantic Salmon do you see in the rivers now.  I have nothing against commerical fishing as long it is done legally My point is if Japan was paying $36 a pound for Striped Bass what do you think the outcome would be.

I don't have a problem with guys wanting an elver permit. Hell, for that price you'd have to be borderline insane not to want one. I don't consider anything done legally as greed. Greed is when someone cuts corners and goes about things in a shady way to pull a profit. As far as tuna fishing goes, we have the best regulations in the world here in our back yard. It's the other countries that do the biggest damage due to the lack of regs. Also, using a spotter plane is illegal to do here. Simply put, tuna fishing is an artisinal fishery around here and I don't think many people have the facts right. ICCAT, the organization which has the most leverage and say as far as tuna quotas go, completed the most recent survey of tuna populations. They found that for the 3rd study in a row (done every 2 years) the population has been on a steady increase. Mind you, if there was anyone who wanted to stick it to tuna fisherman more, it is in fact ICCAT. That's kind of strange considering all these greedy fisherman using rod and reel or harpoon are destroying a natural resource...... Now as far as striped bass are concerened, there will never be a commercial fishery for them in the state of Maine. That is a pretty safe bet.