Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishRatz

Buck off

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so the title gets attention.....but really, its a legit inquiry about dressing tail hooks on crankbaits and plugs! wink.gif

Last year I started tieing bucktails on many lures, eventually I got into fly tieing as well. The first plugs I dressed were my big canal plugs, pencils, bottles, and some metals. Most lures caught fish very well, using simple white deer tail, some crystal flash, ect.

So, over the winter I got into dressing nearly everything in sight, probably out of boredom. I also fish freshwater a lot, so those lures were next. Well, yesterday I was using some nice new Yozuri Pin minnows, perfectly color matched dressed treble tail hooks. I did catch a few good sized pickerel, but noticed the action for the lure was no longer side-side swimming. I believe the dressed tail is anchoring down the action to make it pull straight.

So now I am thinking to pull the bucktail off! confused.gif

Anyone have thoughts or experience on this? Makes me think to leave well enough alone and just use the lure out of the box. But I am always looking to tweak stuff with my own personal touch.

Next weekend heading to Bahamas with a box full of colorful dressed Rapelas and other stuff! I'll be sure to check the action more closely.

Not to mention, plugs without bucktail dressing cast much better and further. ;)

I never use the stuff myself. But, some pretty experienced guys swear by it. So, YMMV. A lot of guys like long saddle hackles on the rear hook of a pencil instead of bucktail. The saddle hackle undulates and breaths in the water, esp on a dead drift. While it also has a fraction of the wind resistance compared to bucktail.

BTW, where are you going in the Bahamas? I've fished it a lot over the years.

I tie bucktails and like them on a lot of lures. I went a little nuts myself and put some on my mag darters, but I really didn't like the action I was getting so I took them off.

For tins/metal etc., I always fish with big bucktails, but I'm starting to rethink them on a few other things and at a minimum tying them a little lighter.

I think they really work best on baits like crystal minnows, etc., they can turn a 4 1/2 inch lure into an 8 inch "fish" and the back and forth motion just looks realy good with a long bucktail.

I have been using lots of different materials, each with thier own properties. Standard deer bucktails are found everywhere, so I opted for using some DNA frosty hair and Holofusion & Polar Flash, very durable and flashy. But I think this material is what kills the swim action of the lure, even though the tail action may be better.

And less material is better for sure, to minimize the negative swim effect of lure, but maximize the 'swash' of the tail hook.

Certain crankbaits will be better than others. But for sure I have found some that stop swimming with bucks added.

Most metals do not diminish the swim action, regardless of how much I tie on.

The experimention continues. Just wanted to hear some thoughts.

Bob, headed to Nassau, will be fishing Cable Beach and offshore islands. I expect mostly reef fish, maybe bones, maybe the stray cudda! I rigged for much of it, including a stingray tail noose, should I accidentally hook one.hooked.gif

I second the DNA Holofusion, that stuff is really great and a little goes a long way. I tied up a bunch of hooks with the natural brown and white bucktail fibers and am eager to see how they work on some of my metals. Sometimes for trout and salmon the natural color fibers on flies out fish the bright red, orange and green colors by a mile. I especially like how the brown and white look against my yellow and green toned poppers.