Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishbulb

Fat Man in a Hobie - Asking For Trouble?

17 posts in this topic

So, this is the year that it's finally going to happen. And after doing research for a long while I've come to the conclusion that it's going to be a Hobie. For fly-fishing and all that goes along with it I think it just makes more sense to go with the MirageDrive.

So after looking at the specs I'm looking at three kayaks; Outback, Revolution13 and the Adventure.

The big issue that terrifies me is weight capacity. I'm about 275 pounds. At my absolute peak fitness I was down around 230. Plain and simple, I'be got the build of a linebacker.

Which is why I'm reading the weight ratings on these models and cringing; two are at 350 pounds and another at 400.

The ProAngler's would work but they're outside of my price range and bigger than I think I should be trying to hoist onto the roof of my vehicle.

So what's the impression? Am I asking for trouble being the size I am and looking at those three models?

Thanks!

If you are truly a fat man, I would avoid the revo. I think the adventure might be a little challenging too. You largest platform is going to be the Outback. I don't know New England shops, but find one that will let you take a test drive.

Agreed....the Revo and Adventure will probably be cramped for you.  Don't count out the PA's.  I have a PA 12 and the weight isn't that bad, I do trailer mine but have had it on the roof of a fullsize van as well as my Jeep.  I'm only 5' 10" and 205 for comparison.

I have an outback and I am 6-3 250lbs...I have no issues...I am dry most of the time as well as in the seat.

Take one out and test drive it...

Thanks

I am 6' 5" 250 and bought the oasis last year it is a tandem so the weight rating is up there 550 lbs. Also hobie should let you piece out the accessories. If you don't need both mirage drives just get one it should be like a 500 dollar credit same with the paddle. I have hea of other people doing it and even asked about buying just a hull later on because I have 2 little ones and would not need 4 drives . I was told it would not be a problem from the dealer we bought ours from. The oasis is awesome it comes with the larger rudder tracks great and handles well for a tandem yak with only me in it. I do put some weight in the front to act as ballast. If you have questions ask barrel he is the resident hobie expert and has answered a bunch for me just by searching his prior threads. Good luck. The oasis gets my vote and it s lighter than the PA