Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otter

UNBELIEVABLE DEAL

18 posts in this topic

SOL's own BrianZ has a flat of fresh blood worms ready for the right yakateer and his tubes cool.gif email or pm him ASAP to take advantage of whats bound to be the savings of the year on everyones favorite bait

Sandworms Otter, sandworms...don't you know anything about tube-n-wormin'? cwm13.gif

cluck_anim.gifcluck_anim.gifcluck_anim.gifcluck_anim.gif

Sheesh...

TimS

they really slam it i know that. Tim perhaps it is YOU who needs to be educated in the way of the worm. you can use nightcrawlers the fish dont care. maybe one of the more experienced paddlers can confirm the use of nightcrawlers in place of other worms in times of worm shortage for equally devistating results anywhere you paddle from baja to bangcock

I was wondering about using nightcrawlers, especially when:

1) I'm fishing fresh water now and

2) Bloodworms are 7.50 a dozen up here

Anybody else have experience with the "tube and crawler" ?

I remember fishing Shinnecock Bay in Long Island for flounder in the 70's with my father. One day we caught 52 keeper flounder on those little red wiggly garden worms that you find under the leaves. That was his favorite worm.

John

I've only used sandworms. I've been told that bloods are equally effective. I tried nightcrawlers once in the fresh and didn't get anything but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't work. I know the sands sure do.

Blood worms seem to be a little tougher, don't break as easily as the sandwords. I would think either on a T/W would do the job. Did anyone take the offer?....sounds good if you fish bait. I tried a wormfly with no results, maybe the wrong situation at the time....the quest continues.

Bloodworms are certainly tougher than snadworms. I never liked bloods simply cause the loose their blood - and color - very quickly and looked washed out. I'm sure that's just the visual part of it, they probably still smell like....umm...whatever it is a bloodworm is spose to smell like redface.gif

Sandworms are pretty unique in their design - they got all them wiggly little filaments, a nice dark olive green with red highlight color...and probably a good, strong, attractive scent.

To try and guess at what would be a good substitute, we'd need to figger out what was the trigger when a fish hits a tube/worm with a snadworm - is it the smell? The color? The subdued action from the added water resitance of bait on the hook? I understand some folks use only the smallest piece of snadworm with excellent results - which would lead me to believe it's a scent thing. Other folks swear by a long worm on the hook - which would lead yah to believe it's either the action or a combination of action/smell.

Salty, I wonder if a 34011 4/0 dark olive bodied wooley type bugger palmered with a slightly reddened furnace hackle w/ some olive/peacock flashabou dubbing mixed with the chenille before it was twisted onto the hook shank would do it? Maybe with a single gold krystal flash and two olive krystal flash strands tied along the furnace hackle tail. Instead of maribou, I'm thinking 4 thin, reddened furnace hackles for the tail.

It's crazy enough to work wink.gif

TimS

Tim-

am I going to have to become bilingual to talk with you? I wonder what people would say if I put on my resume that I was fluent in two languages- english and flyfishing....

Sandworms are pretty unique in their design - they got all them wiggly little filaments,

parapodia biggrin.gif somethigns ya just can't forget.

the worms are still on ice but may wind up as chum tonite. ill give em one more chance and then im back to real weakfish baits like jigs small plugs and tin wink.gif

am I going to have to become bilingual to talk with you?

I dunno, depends on what you wanna talk about? wink.gif Flytyin' ain't so much lingo as it is pieces and parts smile.gif

Palmering - tying a hackle by one end and then winding it around the fly to make the little "parapodia" imitations wink.gif

Furnace hackle - cool lookin' feather with a dark center and an offwhite "edge" that can be dyed to other colors.

Chenille - like yarn made up of bits of chopped up short fibers twisted around/between a few threads. Standard fare for wooley bugger bodies.

Maribou - turkey arm pit feathers.

Does that help? wink.gif

TimS

Ya! that helps alot but one question... does the turkey scream or cry when you pull off the arm feathers?

I'm afraid to learn too much more about fly fishing- everyone I know who tries it, likes it and becomes another addict. My marriage can't handle another addiction!!!

Thanks!

always learning!