Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mainer185

Need reel recommendations for st croix mojo 10' 6 3/4-4 oz rod

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

The Spinfisher V 5500 and Saragosa 8000 are both good reels

Baitrunner 6000D. Plugs and chunking.

Both suggestions would work well on a 10'6 Mojo.

I have tried several reels on my 10'6" mojo. Penn 704z, penn 550 ssg, daiwa 6000 shot, okuma cornado 65 and with exception of the daiwa shot they have performed about the same. The reduced weight of the 550 ssg makes the combo easier to cast on the old shoulder but the daiwa shot increase casting distance a little further. I used 30 pp on all of the reels to try to find the best match. I was surprised that the casting distances and balance of the different reels were all comperable. I would say most reels that handle braid will perform decent with this rod. Hope this helps

I have tried several reels on my 10'6" mojo. Penn 704z, penn 550 ssg, daiwa 6000 shot, okuma cornado 65 and with exception of the daiwa shot they have performed about the same. The reduced weight of the 550 ssg makes the combo easier to cast on the old shoulder but the daiwa shot increase casting distance a little further. I used 30 pp on all of the reels to try to find the best match. I was surprised that the casting distances and balance of the different reels were all comperable. I would say most reels that handle braid will perform decent with this rod. Hope this helps

Very surprised by your results, i would expect you tested by using different reels at different times when you had time to go fishing. With the wide variety of spool diameters and how much line was filled (including how close to the spools lip ) on each reel used , it would definitely show distance differences in all those reels .

You then have the issue of needing to be extremely consistent in your casts to get a good read on which performs best.