Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faithless

Handheld GPS - Garmin 72H vs Etrex 10

6 posts in this topic

Looking for a handheld GPS receiver to carry around in the surf and kayak. Looking at the garming 72H vs the eTrex 10 model. Does anyone have any experience with these? I am not interested in maps, just want to mark way points so I can come back to them at a later date. Thanks.

I've known two people that went with the etrex and then went and upgraded to a better model.

Honestly, for what you're doing I would suggest going with a better unit that has more features.

A few years ago I picked up an Oregon 400t. At the time it was more than I really wanted to spend. However it has saved my butt on a few occasions.

You're going to want to add-on maps to the unit which means you're going to want space on the unit. Then there's doing overlays with your own notes and points, adding points, plotting paths, etc.

Everyone tells you not to skimp on things. A GPS is one of those where, above, others, you really should look at getting something with a full set of features because you may find yourself in a situation where you'll of wished you'd had.

I totally agree with you about not skimping on equipment. However, I am not really getting the GPS device for safety reasons. I don't kayak at night or bad weather. Most importantly I don't venture out away from landmarks that I can see with my naked eye on the bay or ocean. I always keep an eye on my compass when paddling and worse comes to worse I can use my cell phone to point me in the right direction if unexpected fog rolls through. I also carry a marine radio for emergencies.

What I am really interested in is using my fish finder to find structure and marking it on the GPS. That's all I need it for and marking an occasional spot when I am surf casting. Digital maps are really not useful to me because the contour of the bottom changes frequently and after Sandy forget about anything being accurate. This is just me talking my self out of a $400 dollar unit which I probably would never use it to it's full potential. If I had to do it again I would probably get a GPS/FF combo for my kayak, but I already have a sonar and I love the idea of a portable GPS for surfcasting/hiking.

Do you have any recommendations for a portable GPS for around $150? Thanks, I appreciate it.

I understand where you're coming from. I just thing you're under-selling the features and how in time I think they're something you would come to rely on. I thought I wouldn't use 10% of the features on mine and have since come to find that I'm considering an upgrade to get more out of it.

Between the two models I would stay away from the etrex 10. It's engineered more for casual hiking versus the other which is made more for use on the water.

I use an older garmin gps 12, and use it just the way you want too. Sure it's not water proof , I just put it in a ziplock bag in the center hatch between my legs.

The older garmin gps 12 is a great unit and you can find them on eBay for cheap. It's a user friendly gps that can mark waypoints and get you home.

You can also get a cord to hook up to your computer for up or downloading pts. Has track back so you can retrace your route.

The Garmin GPSMap 60...62sx series was the hands down best handheld...This year they updated to the GPSMAP 72,,,,78 series....now if you drop it in the water, they float...I like the position based tidetables on mine and long battery life