Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfacetension

Lures I should carry

13 posts in this topic

I AM GOING TO TRY TO PUT TOGETEHR A BOX a SMALL BOX OF LURES FOR THE YAK WHAT SIZE AND A BETTER QUESTION WHAT SHOULD i CARRY ALSO DOES ANYONE USE A dANNY SWIMMER????? I know I can't have them all but what wgt. and size would help

Thank you in advancecolor=Blue]Text[/color]

Surface Where and what do you plan on fishing for?What size rod do you have?I have a different box for each type of fishing I do.We need a little more info to help.

Joev

My go to lures are jigs like sluggos and fin s fish.I also carry a bunch of poppers and plugs(mambo minnows,yozuri's)But 75% of the time I use some type of jig.Also good to have some metal spoons(hopkins kastmaster)I try to keep it simple.Hope this helps.

joev

If I could only bring 3 lures they'd be:

1. a white 5" Kalin plastic curlytail on a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jighead;

2. a pearl colored 4" plastic shad body on a matching jighead; and

3. a small to medium popper (preferably wood, and preferably homemade).

The curlytail is a great fishfinder that can be fished at any depth (I have yet to get hooked on the Fin-S and sluggos, but its on my "to-do list"; everyone agrees they're deadly). The shad is a dead ringer in the fall for peanut bunker. And the popper is the best ticket to striper nirvana: there's nothing more gratifying than a striper that gets sloppy for a surface lure (sort of like the hot babe that decides that she wants some action and she wants it NOW! biggrin.gif)

surfacetension - you can put a few boxes together and put them all in the hull. Plastics are very important. My favorite are Creme Littl' Fishies in the 3.5" size. I like the smaller stick baits like bombers, mambo minnows, megabaits, and Yozuris. I like sluggos alot especially the 9" but I also fish the 6". Poppers and darters.

Night fishin- black needlefish, black needlefish, black needlefish, black needlefish and a live eel. Maybe a tube and worm for trolling to and from.heart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

Dusk and day- yozuri swimmers (with new treble hooks), poppers, and fin-s.

when the fish aren't cooperating- the whole dam arsenal!! confused.gificon15.gif

dougie v

What do you guys think of "Bombers"?

I've just put together a box for spinning w/four,6" bombers in dark and light Blue w/silver sides, Black split body and a yellow(I think this one is called the "Schoolbus".

I also have a large spoon w/tandem feathered hook and a 4" "Atomic" popper.

Also a large rattle popper.

Going for blues and stripers in the sound.

What do you think of the selection?

They have'nt seen water as of yet.

DASBOOT biggrin.gif

I use bombers alot. All your lures sound good. You definately need some plastics in the arsenal as I know that I use them more than anything else. Either grind off or crush your barbs. You'll be glad that you did.

I love the 9" sluggos rigged with a single barbless 8/0 mustad. In case I run into schoolies I also carry 6" ones.

JonS,

Do you ever replace the hooks on Bombers? I like 'em but with 3 trebles they come off if I'm into little guys. Can you take one off, put on singles, or what without trashing the action?

DB,

Jon's right, get some plastics, Sluggos, Fin-s, shad body type things, some unweighted hooks and some jig heads.

I've been finding it hard to get the big sluggos. Also, they seem to like Hopkins or Castmasters with the white bucktials on them.

Have fun Sunday, I'm sure these guys will put you on fish.

Jim

Saltatrix, great catch, where were you?

Jim W - Tim carries the 9" Sluggos so check the site. They are very tough to find. Awesome lure though.

I haven't replace the trebles, I should do the rear one. I do remove the middle set. One reason I like plastics is that you have one big single hook. On the 9" Sluggos I use an 8/0 Mustad 34007 and on the 6" I use a 4/0-5/0.